What Ever Happened to SpongeBob? (SpongeBob SquarePants)
What Ever Happened to SpongeBob? is a Season 5 episode from SpongeBob SquarePants, it was aired on Nickelodeon on October 13, 2008.
After being called an Idiot Boy by all of his friends, SpongeBob leaves and gets his head knock which causes him to lose his memory, he later comes across a town called New Kelp City.
- This episode is infamous for how unnecessarily and obsessively mean-spirited it is, due to all of the undeserved mistreatment SpongeBob gets.
- All SpongeBob wanted to do was have fun like usual, but his friends treat him VERY BADLY for not one, but two reasons:
- SpongeBob gets called "Idiot Boy" by his friends over simple mistakes or for no apparent reason.
- He is forced to leave the Krusty Krab by Mr. Krabs after an accident that happened.
- In New Kelp City, SpongeBob was later beaten up by a gang, just because he blew bubbles. SpongeBob later blows bubbles to trick the gang so he can protect himself, and after getting rid of the gang, he becomes Mayor of New Kelp City. How do you become mayor over that? Granted, the gang (named the "Bubble-Popping Boys") terrified the residents of New Kelp City for their intimidating vendetta against bubbles (meaning it could have been a signal for the BPB to come and attack them), but the writing and sudden change in Spongebob becoming mayor is sloppy and even unrealistic in a sense (see BQ #6).
- As for his friends, they act way too angry and harsh on SpongeBob after he unintentionally messed up some things they were either working on or just minding their own business.
- Gary: He accidentally broke Gary's shell, after trying to hug Gary.
- Patrick: He trips and falls on Patrick's cake that he made for his mom's birthday. Patrick later called him an "Idiot Boy" over the cake accident.
- Squidward: While not a friend to SpongeBob and has not made anything, he was disturbed by SpongeBob because he was woken up by him.
- Sandy: He accidentally destroyed Sandy's robot, with some of the water coming loose from his water helmet.
- Mr. Krabs: He accidentally deep-fries Mr. Krab's money.
- Norton the Mailman: While not a known friend of SpongeBob, he gets distracted by SpongeBob after he said "Hi" to him, and he later gets injured by crashing into a truck. What is even funny about crashing into a truck while riding a bicycle?
- Between all of Spongebob's friends, Mr. Krabs is the most unlikable. He doesn't go with the others to look for Spongebob, and rather bribes Squidward to go look for him instead.
- After SpongeBob is called "Idiot Boy" by his friends and his boss Mr. Krabs, he later gets upset and moves out of Bikini Bottom, which is really heartbreaking and depressing to watch. He later fell and tripped and went unconscious, losing his memories. Words can't describe the latter of losing his memories was done in an tasteless way.
- And when he saw that a hobo couple found his belongings, they renamed him "CheeseHead BrownPants" because of his physical appearance. (SpongeBob even called himself that so-called "given-name".)
- The way that SpongeBob's friends call him and "Idiot Boy" feels very out of order, he first gets called that by Patrick, then Squidward, then Sandy, and finally Mr. Krabs, with the latter causing SpongeBob to break down in tears, out of SpongeBob's friends, Patrick should have been the last one to call him that since he is SpongeBob's best friend while Mr. Krabs is his boss.
- To be fair, Mr. Krabs is like a father figure to SpongeBob, so it makes since to be hurt by someone that's like a father to you calling you an insult, rather than a friend. But even then, Spongebob's chemistry with Patrick has been much more stronger and complex overall as his best friend.
- This episode has plenty of nonsensical moments. One example would be a scene where a gang of fish people are starting a riot at the Bikini Bottom for no reason, and the other one where all of the citizens of New Kelp City are being afraid of bubbles because of the Bubble popping boys pop bubbles in fear. There is one more example of how nonsensical this episode also is below:
- Due to SpongeBob moving out of Bikini Bottom, this caused the Krusty Krab to lose their business due to SpongeBob not being there to cook.
- At the end of the episode, the bubbles are causing mayhem at New Kelp City somehow. Yet before, SpongeBob became Mayor of Kelp City for using bubbles.
- While Sandy and Patrick are unable to see him and they even begin to miss him. Squidward (obviously) is happy to have SpongeBob leave Bikini Bottom since he doesn't like him, which of course he is meant to not like SpongeBob and yes it makes sense why, but that's done so just to make him act unlikable for story's sake.
- Granted, Squidward can be unlikable at times, and that the show is hit or miss with its own continuity at times. That doesn't mean he should act like a douchebag enough to not feel any empathy for how he yelled at SpongeBob right in his face earlier because of his mean-spiritedness.
- The episode has two plot holes:
- When SpongeBob tried to hug Gary. Gary for some reason is scared of him, despite taking care of Gary ever since the series first started.
- For some reason SpongeBob's parents aren’t involved in the situation of SpongeBob leaving Bikini Bottom and don’t work with his friends, which doesn’t make any sense given by the fact they were not seen in the episode.
- The episode ends with Squidward throwing away his brain in the trash can. Whilst it is one funny comeuppance given to him, at the same time that's really gross.
- The infamous and disturbing Morbid SpongeBob, as seen below.
- While Trevor (the leader of the Bubble Poppin Boys gang) is an interesting villain, he's pretty much shoehorned in the middle of the special for the sake of advancing the plot. He also gets little screentime, as he gets defeated in a few minutes.
- The Townspeople are terrible as well. They cause a riot for not having Krabby Patties. In a way, they treat Krabby Patties like they are an addicting drug or the Second Coming of God.
- Patrick, Sandy, and Mr. Krabs do redeem themselves in this episode and apologize to SpongeBob for calling him "Idiot Boy", although their apologies don't excuse them for the terrible things they have done to SpongeBob.
- The episode did have an interesting plot, although it was not handled well.
- Great animation and voice acting.
- Ray Liotta's guest role as Trevor was quite decent and fitting (a nice homage to Liotta's role as Henry Hill from Goodfellas), even if his role in the episode felt shoehorned.
- SpongeBob is likable here. It is really sad to see him be used as a punching bag, as he didn't do anything in the episode to deserve this torture.
- The scene where SpongeBob saves New Kelp City from the Bubble Poppin' Boys is actually a heroic scene.
- The WhoBob WhatPants intro is somewhat a silly parody to the normal SpongeBob intro.
- Surprisingly good Ending: When SpongeBob got knocked out again, he remembers his Bikini Bottom memories and when he sees the news, he gets back to work on Krabby Patties.
- The episode has gotten average reviews, having a 6.3 Rating on IMDB. It was also known as the least likable special for the series by some viewers.
- Ranked 3rd on the fan edition of MoBrosStudios worst SpongeBob episodes.