Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under the age of eighteen.
Toy Channels are YouTube channels that revolve around the genre of unboxing, and playing with children’s toys, commonly for little kids. These controversial channels commonly (But not always) use content that isn’t appropiate for kids. Along with YouTube Kids Cartoons, like average childrens channels, Toy Channels are currently part of an ongoing controversy known as #Elsagate.
History and Controversy
The first person to start the Spider-Man and Elsa shipping, as well as possibly the toy channels, was DisneyCarToys. They started appearing around 2014 and became very popular in 2016.
Why Many of Them Suck
- Many of them, despite being "kid-friendly", contain adult-oriented content and fetishes (or paraphilias) such as coprophilia (a feces fetish), and blood
- Strange video titles with broken English, like "JOKER VS SPIDERMAN & SPIDERBABIES 💗 Superhero Pranks Frozen Elsa Cartoon Play Doh Stop Motion", "Bad Baby with Tantrum and Crying for Lollipops Little Babies Learn Colors Finger Family", or "SPIDERMAN GIANT EGG SURPRISE TOYS Spiderman Opening Surprise Toys Spiderman Videos IRL Kids Video" (note these are actual titles). The main reason for these titles being strange is because they're filled with keywords (such as "learn colors", "finger family", etc.) so that kids would find them easier.
- Like the animated YouTube Kids cartoons that keep showing up on YouTube, they get kids to click on their videos by using brutal or highly sexualized thumbnails: Characters with blood or knives, syringes, and revealing cleavage.
- The content is extremely repetitive.
- Their views are botted which brings them to millions of views in just one video.
- The comment section as well is botted and some of them are in a foreign language like Spanish or Arabic, and when you use Google Translate, the sentences as well are not cohesive. Some comments might even be plain gibberish and/or word salad.
- The Chinese ones are even worse!
- Poor special effects. In one video, Spiderman and Elsa get electrocuted by lightning and then they become SKELETON COSTUMES!
- Really awkward and downright terrible acting.
- Some of the videos are meant to be "educational", but it's just learning the same exact colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and to a lesser extent, indigo and violet) in different videos.
- Copyright-wise, they don’t have permission from Marvel, Disney, Universal, Sega, Viacom, WarnerMedia, Nintendo, DC, dreamworks to use their characters in their videos.
- Many of them have syringes for some reason, which adds to the disgusting factor. Children’s Joy TV is a channel where almost all of their videos have to do with syringes in toy baby’s butts. The most notorious video is where a guy throws syringes into a toy baby’s butt with a paper target on it. Thankfully, his channel got terminated after too many people were reporting it.
- It contains the same nursery rhymes every video but with different characters such as PewDiePie, Shrek, Spider-Man, and even Adolf Hitler. Such songs include "5 Little Monkeys" and "Johnny Johnny Yes Papa".
- Even worse, some of these videos have actual voice acting in them for the SpiderMan and Elsa skits, which range from tolerable to downright cringeworthy. A prime example of this is ToyLab TV, but it isn't that much of an ElsaGate channel.
- They caused channels that aren't family-friendly but use family-friendly characters anyway to get caught in the crossfire. A good example is Logan Thirtyacre, whose problems with YouTube demonetizing his channel SuperMarioLogan (which has videos depicting plush and puppet versions of Mario characters, as well as several original characters, in various situations often involving swearing, violence, even murder) and not getting a straight answer is legendary.
- Some channels think they can make money off of these types of videos. Channels like Cartoon Candy use their Wonderballs cartoons as ads.
- A TON of the content is pointless! One example includes glittering paint being drawn on a hand’s fingers, and it sings The Finger Family song in Russian.
- They rely too much on live streams & recommendations rather than making valuable, high quality content.
- It has been speculated that the channel known as “Fun Toys Collector”, may have used to be a porn star.
- A lot of the characters in these videos are portrayed as Dumb Idiots, such as Cookie Monster, Woody from Toy Story, Steve from Minecraft, Super Mario, and even Donnie from TMNT is portrayed as an idiot, even though he is the brains of the Turtles.
- Like Youtube Kids Cartoons, videos about changing diapers with fecal matter to a toy baby such as Nenuco, Baby Amore, or Baby Alive no matter if is a real fecal matter or is a brown slime disguised as a fecal matter that can be still disturbing are not deleted at all.
- Also like Youtube Kids Cartoons, those videos are suggested in any cartoons meaning that not only appear in niche audience cartoons but they (sometimes) appear in non-niche audience cartoons as well such as Kid vs. Kat, Regular Show, Adventure Time, The Owl House, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Clarence or Steven Universe. As well also appears in BeamNG videos about NOOB PRO HACKER, Level 1 Crook vs Level 100 Boss that they made by DestructionNation and CrashBoomPunk.
- At the very least, YouTube is now looking to age-restrict these videos, along with the YouTube Kids Cartoons. In 2019, YouTube has added a system that detects whether there's a child in the videos so that YouTube flagged it as a kids channel that disables comments on the videos. and thanks to the COPPA update, they are flagging even more
- There are some Toy Channels that don't do Elsagate content. A good example of this would be Izzy’s Toy Time
- There are some good toy review channels about.
- "Leokimvideo" is a good example of this because Leo himself hates generic toy review channels himself. His toy reviews usually are about knockoff toys (mainly Thomas The Tank Engine, but he's also done videos about Cars, Angry Birds, and Transformers knockoffs) and why they are bad (he even goes the extra mile to warn consumers about the dangers of cheap knockoffs, which usually meet the business end of a hammer) but also reviews legitimate toys and have a good variety of other videos as well, such as videos in which he deals with various spiders that invade his home (he lives in Australia where the most poisonous spiders live) and his TTTE Parody Video “Mad Bomber”. He also inspired other TTTE YouTubers to be who they are now (ex. YouTuber MrA TheHedgehog). He does upload, but he has had a recent hiatus due to YouTube Bots demonetizing his videos falsely. Now, he's back on schedule.
- "FluffyJet Toys" might also feel like a generic Toy Review channel, but it's kid-friendly and doesn't rely on any ElsaGate related topic.
- "RRcherrypie" would be a good example too since they never made an ElsaGate video and does mostly reviews on toys that do DIY Japanese candy (but some of their videos are not for young kids and there are some inappropriate pictures in their community).
- Stuart Ashen uploads humorous reviews of cheap toys and gadgets. His videos aren't violent or sexual, but they do have a bit of profanity and adult humor, so his videos are best-suited for older audiences.
- Japanesestuffchannel uploads only content revolving around Japanese stuff (hence the name), including Japan-only toys. It can actually be great if you want to learn about Japanese culture or world history.
- SquirrelStampede is also quite decent enough and has no ElsaGate content, They also admit that some of their stuff is Cringe-Worthy when they get cringy, They're reviews are also good where he talks a fair amount of seriousness and humor (Mostly from the little squirrels), He also is starting a Minecraft Lets Play series so it shows that he at least has a variety
- FastFoodToyReviews is another good example of a 100% family-friendly channel as he mainly reviews fast food toys from the past and present.
- Lucky penny shop is a good example. he doesn't only review modern toys. but also vintage toys. he also reviews books and does videos on bins and shows what is in them and does reviews on candy.