Toby the Pup
Toby the Pup is an animated cartoon character created by animators Dick Huemer, Sid Marcus and Art Davis. He starred in a series of early sound shorts produced by Charles B. Mintz for RKO Radio Pictures. The series lasted from 1930 to 1931. Twelve cartoons were produced, though only seven still survive today.
Why It Sucks
- The main character, Toby, is a huge Mickey Mouse wannabe just like Scrappy. He is also similar to Bimbo from Fleischer Studios.
- It steals ideas from Mickey Mouse cartoons such as Steamboat Willie and The Opry House.
- Overuse of sound effects, like padding on feet.
- The songs can be annoying sometimes.
- In the cartoon The Milkman, Toby throws glasses of milk on the front porch instead of setting them up. Later on, he throws another batch onto the pavement.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The designs were good, especially for Toby.
- The said main character is also cute.