The Simpsons in Plusaversary
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Springfield hosts a Disney+ Day party, and guests from across the service are invited, except Homer.
- Despite the idea of seeing all Disney characters together for the short being good on paper, it is poorly executed here.
- The biggest flaw with the short is that much like Scoob and Space Jam: A New Legacy, which advertised HBO Max, Plusaversary feels like a promotional video for Disney+, and Disney themselves, especially during the scene where they try to get people to renew their subscriptions. Granted, it may not be a full-feature-length film like those movies are, but still.
- Most of the designs for the Disney characters look weird and kind of ugly, due to most of them being poorly translated through Matt Groening's art style. Although some of them managed to go through the art style just fine, such as with Goofy, some characters like Baymax, Wreck-It Ralph, and a few others don't look perfect.
- None of the voice actors from other Disney projects ended up reprising their roles for their characters. Instead, they were voiced by Simpsons voice actors, and some of them do poorly in their portrayal of the characters, mainly with Donald's and Goofy's voices.
- Many characters from other properties that Disney owns didn't show up in the short, such as The Muppets, Disney Television Animation, 20th Century Studios (even though they produced this show), and Blue Sky Studios, which is rather disappointing.
- Heck, many of the characters on the guest list were not seen in the special.
- While the characters here are okay, none (aside from The Simpsons characters and Goofy) serve a purpose other than advertising their shows and movies.
- Lisa singing a Disney-style song promoting Disney+ has been noted as completely uncharacteristic of her.
- Overall, the short in general does not work well as its job of being a short, and it would have been much better if it was just a commercial or advertisement instead.
- The concept for the short does sound like a good idea on paper, despite the mediocre execution.
- The dynamic between Homer and Goofy was pretty enjoyable.
- The animation is still good as usual, and the voice acting for the Simpsons characters is still decent.
- There are some funny moments, like Buzz Lightyear and The Mandalorian having an arm-wrestling contest, in which Buzz loses as well as the Beast using Pinocchio’s nose as a cue stick for pool.
The short has received mixed-to-negative reviews, and currently holds a 5/10 on IMDb.
*Maleficent's tablet showed the following Companies: Disney, Pixar, ABC, FX, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Hulu, National Geographic, 20th Century Studios, and ESPN.