The Problem Solverz
The Problem Solverz is an animated series on Cartoon Network created by Ben Jones that aired from April 4, 2011 to March 30, 2013.
Three young men - Alfe, Horace and Roba - run an unorthodox detective agency that tries to solve the mysteries of the universe. Alfe is a creature described as part anteater, part human and part dog. Horace is known for having a cool haircut. Roba has a fear of humanity that compels him to dress as a robot.
Why It Sucks
- To start, the show is notorious for its extreme overuse of flashing and bright colours, along with a complete lack of ambience or shading, as if the background designers was on drugs. Mr. Enter said in his review on the show that his computer has a hard time rendering them, and later was diagnosed with myopia as a result of watching the show. Not to mention, it is seizure inducing.
- Bad flash animation, with characters sometimes moving in a stiff, bizarre and robot-like way.
- Ugly and uncanny character designs, made without any depth or detail until Season 2.
- Alfe looks nothing like an large, fluffy, man–dog–anteater as he was supposed to be, he looks more like poor man’s Domo-kun.
- Roba's eyes close horizontally for some reason.
- The faces (sometimes anime-esque) the characters make come off as ugly, hideous, creepy, weird, cringeworthy, silly, and laughable.
- The worst offenders are the ones seen in "Funny Facez." Even the episode is called that.
- Unlikable characters such as Alfe, who's a very annoying and painfully unfunny character. He's also a terrible character in the show, especially in Season 1 and early episodes of Season 2.
- Overuse of disgustingly unfunny and lame jokes that focus on nothing but gross-out such as Roba's uncontrollable farting when he eats beans and Alfe bathing in a toilet in Awesome Banditz. Plus, there is too much toilet humor seen in episodes, especially in Season 1.
- There was even one infamous moment in Roba Has Dreadlocks where Alfe does a song which was farting.
- Any main character gets in serious pain, especially Roba. The worst offender is Making of The Problem Solverz Video Game, where all of the characters get tormented.
- Alfe is the only character to be less in pain, and whenever he does the torment, he gets little to no consequences for doing that. He's also destructive and can destroy everything often, so he mostly does all of the disaster.
- The layouts of Farboro (while detailed and creative) and other locations are horribly designed, due to the extremely bright and flashing high gamma colors.
- The voice acting is very obnoxious and laughable, Alfe and Roba’s voices are the worst offenders.
- Terrible episodes like Alfe Is Da Boss, Alfe Has a Baby, K-999 and Da Little Explorerz, and more to count. There was so many, the show had more bad episodes than good.
- Terrible writing and sometimes it can makes plotholes in some episodes.
- Time Twister was not a very good way to start the series, as well the second season premiere.
- The show have an short-lived segment seen at the end of each episode (until Episode 6) called Ask Alfe which has to be considered filler because it have many simple questions, as this segment was made to advertise the show more. It's also random since Alfe answer the questions with not-so helpful answers.
- The promos and bumpers made for the show are too hyperactive, nonsensical, random, and also have way too many bright colors all over the place (if not more than the show).
- The show was so badly-received, that it was put on hiatus for 1½ year and it's full second season was exclusively burnt off on Netflix on March 30, 2013.
- After the show was removed from Netflix in 2015, the Season 2 episodes used to be lost media briefly until all of the episodes were released on Dailymotion.
- Terrible finale: The episode, Alfe's Gonna Run Away, is about Alfe running away and moving to an new home due to an insult from Roba, making him depressed. Meanwhile, Alfe was replaced by an bear, which is just cruel and mean-spirited. The episode ends with Alfe coming back and Horace and Roba are glad. Then, the bear (that replaced Alfe) crash in and roars, then Alfe leaves quickly, leaving Horace and Roba.
- The 8-bit soundtrack is decent.
- There are some nonsensical moments that can come off as funny.
- The layouts of Farboro, while an eyesore, are at least detailed and looks creative.
- Season 2 is a major improvement from the first, though there was bad episodes here and there.
- Tux Dog, Horace, and Roba (when not tortured) are good and decent characters. Also, Alfe gets a bit better in Season 2.
- Its premise is quite original.
- Although it has bright and flashing colors and stiff and robotic movements, the animation is surprisingly colorful, except for the vision problems. Some of the character designs are decent as well.
- To add this, also the animation in season 2 (for the most part) also improves a bit.
- The bright colors are also less used in the final episodes of Season 1 and the entirety of Season 2.
The series was met with extremely negative reviews and is often considered to be one of the worst (if not the worst) Cartoon Network shows ever made. Users on tv.com and IMDb have mostly given the series a 2.1 out of 10. It was ranked as #1 on WatchMojo's Top 10 Worst Cartoon Network Shows video. It was ranked #3 on Mr. Enter's Worst Cartoons of the 2010's list.
- The show was originally pitched to [adult swim], but the executive claimed the show to be "too cute", thus pitching it to Cartoon Network instead.
- Making of The Problem Solverz Video Game was the only Season 2 episode to use Season 1's animation style while the rest of the Season 2 episodes used an different style.
Epsiodes with their own pages