Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under the age of eighteen.
WARNING! This article is NSFL!
This article may contain content that is disturbing, including themes of rape, murder, abuse, drugging, crime, disaster, tragedy, etc.
The Nutshack is a 2007 Filipino-American adult animated sitcom created and produced by Ramon Lopez and co-created by Jesse Hernandez. It was the only Filipino-American television series to be animated. It aired on Myx TV in the United States and Myx in the Philippines.
Two cousins, Phil and Jack, from completely different areas (San Francisco and the Philippines, respectively) are forced to live together by their overly controlling uncle, Richard "Tito Dick" Cabeza.
Why It Sucks
- The title doesn't have anything to do with the show's premise at all.
- Bad voice acting.
- Mediocre character designs.
- The background music often drowns out the dialogue.
- The show has loads of unfortunate implications and morals; for instance, the episode named "Got Surgery?" encourages female viewers to get breast enlargements in order to feel accepted.
- The characters (excluding Chita and Dwayne) range from downright disgusting to utterly annoying.
- The cyborg monkey, Horat, is nothing more than a unfunny comic relief.
- His robotic voice is also obnoxious to listen to. It's also hard to make out what he's saying due to all the filters (which is why viewers have subtitles of what he's saying), making it somehow worse than that of Roba from The Problem Solverz.
- Awful writing. Some episodes don't even begin with a proper exposition or end with a proper resolution.
- Unfunny and immature jokes including toilet humor and disturbing content, as well as an overuse of drug and sex jokes.
- The Flash animation is absolutely awful and poorly-done. It often looks like a low-quality Internet Flash animation, and the characters move robotically.
- It's extremely racist, anti-Semitic, and homophobic.
- It is offensive to Filipinos despite (ironically) being a Filipino-American show and the creators being of Filipino descent themselves.
- The transgender character, Cherry Pie, is offensive to actual transgender people, as she is portrayed as nothing more than a sex crazed stereotype that makes everyone around her very uncomfortable.
- Sanjee is a stereotype of the "Indian convenience store owner," much like Apu from The Simpsons, but worse because there is no charm to him whatsoever.
- Rainbow Scout is a stereotypical buff gay man who happens to enjoy anal sex and cannot stop talking about it.
- Most of the theme song's lyrics are basically "It’s The Nutshack!" 16 times (4 more if you listen closely). It quickly gets annoying.
- Like #3 and #9, the characters look like they have been steamrolled on due to the art-style and animation.
- Ironically, they ARE steamrolled in the show’s intro!
- Some scenes make no sense at all.
- There are two likeable characters: Chita is a nice person, and her voice is pleasant to listen to compared to others, while Dwayne, Phil and Jack's landlord, is admittedly pretty funny at times.
- The opening theme song, while awful, is catchy. It's "so bad it's good" that easily became a meme.
- Season 2, although still bad, was a major improvement over season 1.
- The storyboards for the show actually look pretty good before they were animated. They are detailed and are in an attractive looking art-style slightly different from the show's.
- Horat sounds a bit better when his voice is in a normal pitch.
- The end credits theme is actually pretty good.
- The Nutshack was met with extremely negative reviews from critics and viewers alike and it's considered as the one of the worst animated shows ever. It currently holds on 1.6/10 on IMDB and a 2.5/10 on tv.com.
- The show's theme song spawned a lot of memes, which sometimes make the song overtly verbose.