The Girlfriend (The Amazing World of Gumball)
"The Girlfriend" is the twenty-second episode of the fourth season of The Amazing World of Gumball. The episode was panned by fans, and it is considered the worst episode of the entire show.
Jamie has decided she needs a sweetheart and, unlucky for him, she has decided Darwin is the best candidate.
Why It Sucks
- This episode, overall, is an insult to anyone who was a victim of an abusive relationship.
- The moral of the episode is downright awful, as it states that you should submit to and agree with an abusive relationship with someone you don't want to relate to, by doing nothing about it other than to wait for the abusive spouse to become better.
- Jamie herself is a complete overbearing and severely mentally or psychologically ill dominant yandere throughout the entire episode.
- Darwin is the most unlikable character in this episode, as everybody else is constantly being abused by Jamie for the majority of the episode because he refuses to talk to her.
- Speaking of Darwin himself, he is easily considered the Butt-Monkey of this episode.
- The moment where Richard makes a bunch of faces is just stupid, boring and complete filler.
- In a dream sequence with Gumball, Darwin, and Jamie as a married couple, we see Jamie mistreating her two spouses by forcing them to look after the kids and even insulting their looks.
- Horrible ending: Darwin ends up in the infirmary after receiving a punch from Jamie and then Gumball (while stroking Darwin) tells him: "You know, dude, all you had to do was keep your mouth shut and say nothing!", which is the worst thing anyone can say to a bully victim.
- Jamie never received any consequences for her actions.
- Very cruel and unfunny jokes.
- The song in this episode is not only a bad song in the show, but it's also a really sexist one as well.
- This episode does teach you what love is, sometimes.
- The dream scene is kinda funny (depending on your view) like Gumball and Darwin acting like new housewives for Jamie.
- In the middle of the apology scene, there is an absolutely hysterical sight gag where Mr. Small, Rocky, Mr. Corneille, the librarian, Principal Brown, and the nurse are taped to the lockers saying "SORREE".
- There is a hilarious quote: "A coconut has milk, but it doesn't have nipples, which means it's not a mammal, it's a hairy milk carton from a tree."
"The Girlfriend" was universally-panned by critics and fans and is considered to be (Along with “The Hero”) the worst episode of the entire show. The episode was criticized for the implication that states "you submit to an abusive relationship and do nothing whilst in it!" and how Darwin was abused through the majority of the episode.
The episode was also placed at #1 on PhantomStrider's "Top 6 Worst Gumball Episodes" video.
On IMDb, it got a 5.4 rating, making it the lowest ranked Gumball episode compared to the others.
- This episode was released/aired during the celebration week of the release of the reboot of The Powerpuff Girls.