The Enchanted Baby (Johan and Peewit)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Enchanted Baby is an episode of Johan and Peewit.
Why It's Not Enchanted
- There is a scene where Dame Barbara holds the baby like a breadstick, declaring it to be the proper way when it really isn't. The mother's twin sister does the same thing.
- The baby's wailing can be pretty cringeworthy to listen to. Even the mother's twin sister couldn't stand to hear it either.
- When Dame Barbara enters the scene, Peewit bumps into her and leads to a nonsensical chase scene. It happens again at the end of the episode where she transforms from a mouse back into a human.
- This is a callback to the Smurfs chasing Brainy in The Smurfs episode "The Magnifying Mixture", for even mentioning the word of potion.
- Like other episodes that were never adapted from the comic stories, Dame Barbara serves no purpose to the story other than being a gag character.
- Other than that, she shows no love or compassion towards Peewit for most of the series and is only there to laugh at his misfortune, namely "The Black Hellebore". Although intended to be funny, we end up feeling sorry for Peewit.
- Peewit's bad singing can be cringeworthy to some, even though it cheers the baby up.
- The beginning of the episode focuses on the Smurfs, when it's supposed to be a Johan and Peewit episode. Also, the Smurfs disappear until the middle of the episode and again at the end of the episode.
- The Fairy Godmother sounds way too similar to Hogatha, but without the snort.
- A few art and animation errors occur when it comes to the Smurfs, such as:
- Greedy's hat being misdrawn to a regular Smurf hat.
- The baby was finally returned to his rightful parent. Also, his magical powers were later carried over to Baby Smurf in future episodes.
- The realistic character designs of the mother and her twin sister contrasts well with the cartoony style of Peyo's comic book designs.
- The Smurfs are still tolerable, even if they're not the main focus to begin with.
- Johan, Peewit, Princess Sabina and The King are still likeable characters.
- This was the last episode to be produced under the "Johan and Peewit" series of segments. The following season, the cast of Johan and Peewit were officially included into The Smurfs series (with Princess Sabina and Dame Barbara reduced to cameos).