The Buzz on Maggie
The Buzz on Maggie is an American animated show created by Dave Polsky for Disney Channel. The show centers on a tween fly named Maggie Pesky, who lives in the town of Stickyfeet and dreams of becoming a rock star. It was also one of the first-ever Disney shows to be animated in Adobe Flash.
Why It Should Buzz Off
- The main problem with the show is that it is filled with unlikable or stereotypical characters. These include:
- Maggie Pesky, the titular character, is a Punching Bag who never seems to get what she wants at the end and constantly gets abused.
- Aldrin (Maggie’s brother) is a horrible sibling who is a jerk towards Maggie, and he usually gets away with all of the bad deeds that he committed. He’s also the overplayed Jerk Jock stereotype.
- Chauncey and Frieda are not good parents. They dote on Aldrin and do neither punish nor scold him for treating Maggie like a solid piece of crap.
- The voice acting can be annoying at times; Pupert’s voice is the biggest offender, and it will get on your last nerves. And Dawn Swatworthy's voice is ear-piercing and poorly voice acted, like Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, despite being voiced by Tara Strong.
- The episodes are nothing but (often) a waste of time to watch.
- Subpar character designs for the insects, but for some reason, the designs were nominated for an Annie Award.
- A majority of the jokes range from stale to just plain weak.
- Almost everyone treats Maggie like garbage and usually gets off for scot-free at the end.
- Poor attempts at humor. A majority of it relies on gross-out jokes.
- Almost lack of originality.
- The show does teach good morals and life lessons.
- Maggie (at times), Rayna, Pupert and Bella are very adorable characters. Maggie, herself can be relatable, as its very cute protagonist.
- The animation is great since it’s one of the first Disney Animation Television cartoons to be animated in flash.
- The setting for the cartoon is kinda clever for the bugs.
- Maggie's character design and tomboyish personality are admittedly cute.
- Good voice acting, despite the voice acting being annoying at times. Jessica DiCicco (who is best-known for Cecil in Viva Pinata, Flame Princess from Adventure Time, Lucy, Lynn Jr., Benny, and Zach from The Loud House, Tambry and .GIFfany from Gravity Falls, Summer from the Muppet Babies reboot, and Hissy from Puppy Dog Pals) herself does a great job voicing Maggie.
- Funny moments now and then.
- The show's theme song "Just the Way I Am" is very cute and charming. It got critical praise and was nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award. There is even a full version.
- The series is currently unavailable on Disney+ as of now.
- The Buzz on Maggie was the second Disney Channel original series to be canceled after one season, after Dave the Barbarian.
The Buzz on Maggie generally received mixed reviews, as it currently holds a 5.8/10 on IMDb. However, despite its mixed reviews and short-lived run, the series eventually gained a cult following in 2019.