Super Duper Sumos
Super Duper Sumos is a low-budget 2002 cartoon made by DIC Entertainment and aired on Nickelodeon. The show lasted two seasons and 26 episodes between 2002 and 2003.
The main plot for the series was for the crime fighting sumo wrestlers to go on an adventure and fight using their buttocks. There were three sumo wrestlers called Booma, Kimo, and Mamoo.
A typical episode consisted of "Bad Inc" trying to destroy Generic City in numerously themed ways, although almost all of their plans involved giant monsters. The head of Bad Inc, Ms. Mister, usually assigned the in-house mad-scientist Stinger to create these evil monsters. At the end of each episode, Ms. Mister fires Stinger for failing to create an unstoppable monster (although he always appears employed in the next episode and is never actually fired). Every episode contained gratuitous use of the word "butt". In every episode the three wrestlers use "Sumo Size". This makes them stronger, more muscular and considerably larger. Each sumo has a characteristic move they use when "Sumo Sized", usually the three sumos initiate their attack one after another in the same order. Often in times of trouble, the sumos undertake a flashback remembering something Wisdom San (their teacher) taught them. They also may get advice from Prima, who is the sumos' friend and encouraging sidekick who often follows them and acts the most sensibly. Throughout the whole series, each sumo fights for their cause (they draw their abilities from a force known as 'P.H.A.T.', standing for Peace, Honor, and Truth).
Why People Think It Super-Duper Sucks
- Like after Breadwinners, the show is overloaded with butt jokes, in a KIDS SHOW. Yes, some kids think butts are funny, but here the jokes are overdone to the point of discomfort and nausea.
- Aside from the butt jokes, which appear at a constant level, the whole show is revolting. The sumos are almost naked, wearing nothing but only traditional Mawashi loincloths, and they walk around the town that way without anyone complaining.
- Booma has to be most unlikable character of the trio, as he always makes jokes about his butt, is really dumb and super-immature beyond belief, and has a crush on Prima, who is a child, which is incredibly creepy and pedophilic.
- Bland animation.
- The action is boring and tiring at times.
- The theme song is somewhat irritating, it repeats the same title of the show over and over and filler scenes that don’t have any vocals whatsoever have sound effects thrown in, similar to The Wacky World of Tex Avery.
- Bad voice acting.
- Offensive racial stereotypes, mostly involving Asians, particularly Japanese people.
- The faces the characters make are sometimes unnerving.
- Repetitive plotlines that always consist of Mrs. Mister summoning a monster to destroy Generic City and the Sumos must stop her.
- Awful and sometimes creepy characters. Like WIS #3, the blonde sumo, Booma, is always hitting on Prima despite being a grown man.
- The character designs look out of place. For example, Genghis, Dr. Stinger, and many background characters.
- The sumos in general also usually rely on fat jokes, which can be seen as offensive, especially to fat people, due to their fat-shaming nature.
- "Bad Inc." is an extremely generic and uncreative name for a supervillain organization. The same can be said for Generic City, the show's location.
- Some of character designs are decent, like the sumos themselves and Ms. Mister.
- Though the acronym is stupid, "Peace, Honor and Truth" does sound nice.
- Catchy theme song, despite the lyrics normally saying the show's title repeatedly as mentioned in WIS #6.
- Prima is the only likable character.
- Despite this show heavily relying on butt jokes, there is no twerking whatsoever unlike in Breadwinners. This is because the show was created before twerking was made a thing by Miley Cyrus as of 2013.
- The voice acting is somewhat decent.
The show was not well received and has been often considered to be one of the worst cartoons DIC has ever made. It currently holds a 3.6/10 on IMDb.