NOTE: This is a full page version of a blog page that i made back in August, but it was deleted and i enjoyed recreating. :)
Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under eighteen years or older.
Super Drags was a Brazilian adult animated comedy superhero series that premiered on Netflix on November 9th, 2018, and it was created by Anderson Mahanski, Fernando Mendonça, and Paulo Lescaut, the series was cancelled the show after only one season.
Donizete, Patrick, and Ralph are three friends working in a department store who are also drag queen superheroes: Scarlet Carmesim, Lemon Chiffon, and Safira Cyan, in the way to combat the homophobic villain Lady Elza.
Why It's Such a Drag
- To get the elephant out of the room, the series portrays stereotypes against LGBTQ+ Community. Even it ultimately failed by making the characters act very girly and the reactions of real-life drag queens, they feel disliked for this. Also, the show can arguably be very homophobic, since they use the word gay over and over again.
- The animation and art style, while not too bad, look generic. As it looks like something from a low-quality Canadian cartoon or either a Toy channel, but also the character designs can go from uncanny to downright hideous.
- Sometimes the story feels rushed as the show has only 5 episodes. The story could've been executed better if the show had 13 or more, there are some things in this show that are never explained, like:
- How the Super Drags got their powers.
- Lady Elza's backstory.
- How the Super Drags meet Lady Champagne.
- The anti-gay politicians' motivations.
- Lady Elza, the show's main villain, is so bland and forgettable that her revelation as Sandoval (the chief for Donizete, Patrick and Ralph) makes no sense, in fact, how didn't nobody (specially Donizete, Patrick and Ralph) found that he is Sandoval? and why did he disguised as Lady Elza?
- Gross attempts at humor, in addition. Characters twerking and making dildo puns.
- The backgrounds are very incomprehensible to look at, with the majority of them having penis-shaped things on it.
- All the characters are just unlikable and uninteresting, with the exemple being the three characters who are not only stereotypical but very annoying to the point that they only serve for being put in dumb situations. As even the Lady Champagne character has absolutely no reason to exist.
- The action scenes are really boring and often ridiculous to watch, for example in one episode the characters fight a giant tornado monster made of naked people with lip sync.
- The final episode basically ends in a cliffhanger with Lady Elza/Sandoval screaming in the front of the screen wanting to get revenge on the Super Drags again, and it just ends right there.
- The show happens to be a rip-off of a webtoon made by Wil Vasque.
- Despite the generic art style, the animation is surprisingly decent, and Combo Estúdio did a great job animating the show.
- The soundtrack is nice to listen to.
- The voice acting, both in English and original Brazilian Portuguese is very good.
- Goldiva's backstory is kind of touching.
- The concept itself sounds very creative, despite ripping off an internet webtoon.
The series has received mixed to negative reviews from both critics and audiences, and it is known as one of the worst Netflix originals ever made, with S.E. Fleenor calling it "an outrageous, adults-only, gay romp filled with sardonic condemnations of the rampant erasure and destruction of queer people told through harrowing exploits, hypersexual superpowers, and hilariously floppy cartoon bulges".
But just like almost any Brazilian animated series, the series was quickly forgotten after its cancellation.
- Before his release, the Brazilian Society of Pediatrics issued an official statement, claiming that the series could be harmful to children. However, Netflix has stated that the series is for adults only, subsequently releasing a red-band trailer with a TV-MA rating displayed throughout.
- Alongside Cupcake & Dino: General Services, it was the first Brazilian animated show by Netflix.
- This is one of the very few Netflix originals to be canceled after only one season.