So Random! (stylized as SO R@n:D0ᴟ!) is an American Disney Channel sketch comedy series that premiered on June 5, 2011. It was announced as an independent series after Demi Lovato left the parent series, Sonny With A Chance. The series features the actors who acted in Sonny with a Chance, besides Lovato: Tiffany Thornton, Sterling Knight, Brandon Mychal Smith, Doug Brochu, and Allisyn Ashley Arm along with other featured actors who recur in the series. The series premiere was watched by 4.1 million viewers.
The spin-off to Sonny with a Chance, So Random! is a musical sketch comedy continuing some of the sketches on the original show while introducing new sketches with a new repertory cast.
- All of the characters are flanderized badly:
- Tawni Hart is changed from a lovely lady to a complete sassy and unlikable lady.
- Zora Lancaster is changed from a sweet loving little girl to a pink-haired spoiled brat who always acts very childishly, despite her now being 13 years old whereas she was 11 in Sonny With A Chance.
- Nico Harris is changed from an amazing black teen to a stereotypical African American teen.
- Chad Dylan Cooper is changed from a great guy to a guy who speaks in third person a lot.
- Grady Mitchell is changed from a funny guy to a moronic idiot who can sometimes act like a selfish jerkass.
- Demi Lovato's character Sonny Munroe doesn’t seem to exist anymore since the original ended 5 months before this show existed. She hasn’t returned for a guest appearance in the show either.
- A lot of friend conflict.
- The laugh track plays when there's unfunny scenes.
- It can terribly get mean-spirited.
- Some awful sketches, with the worst offender being the "Strawberry Shortbread" sketch; which was not only a terrible parody of Strawberry Shortcake, but is also a massive insult to that show.
- Some weak jokes.
- This is basically Disney's poorly-written and unfunny version of All That.
- False advertising for two reasons:
- One of the promos say that it was supposed to be a new season of this show, when it’s barely the first season.
- In the intro, Zora Lancaster’s hair was all brown, but she dyed it hot pink in the actual series.
- Worst of all, this show ultimately killed the Sonny with a Chance franchise.
- The opening intro is fun and catchy to listen to here.
- Some funny moments here and there.
- The special guest stars from other popular Disney Channel shows make great performances.
- The setting looks good.
- Some of the sketches are good.
This show currently has a 4.6/10 on IMDb.
- Demi Lovato didn’t return due to focusing more on her singing career after the cancellation of Sonny With A Chance.
- It became available to stream on Disney+ on April 3, 2020 along with the first two seasons of Sonny With A Chance. Disney branded this show as the third season of Sonny With A Chance rather than a separate series.
- Superium placed it at number #2 on his Top 10 Worst Disney Channel shows of the 2010s video.