Redubbed Monica's Gang Episodes
In 2003, Mauricio de Sousa Produções and Paramount Home Entertainment had a partnership, and announced that they will launch a collection of Monica's Gang DVDs, with remastered versions of episodes extracted from their old compilation movies, starting with 1986's As Novas Aventuras da Turma da Mônica (except for Um Cachorro bem Treinado and O Último Desejo), and ending with 1999's Videogibi Turma da Mônica - A Ilha Misteriosa. However, possibly to avoid copyright issues, all of the episodes have been redubbed. Between 2011 and 2012, there was a two-volume direct-to-video films called Se Liga na Turma da Mônica, which presents episodes from 1999-2001, originally aired on Rede Globo, but these too were redubbed.
- Besides the possible chance of avoiding copyright issues, there was no reason for MSP to redub these cartoons, as there was nothing wrong with the original audio.
- The voices for the secondary characters are mediocre.
- Limited sound effects, which are repeated over and over, sometimes the same sound effect is repeated right after it was executed!
- The music sounds inferior, when compared to the originals, even if it isn't that bad.
- A mispelling error is seen on custom title card of "O Causo dos Sapo", when it should be either "O Causo do Sapo" or "O Causo dos Sapos". Even the narrator reads the title that way!
- In Se Liga na Turma da Mônica Volume 1, some of the Chico Bento shorts had the titular character now voiced by the late Alteires Coelho, which was ironic, considering the fact that the other shorts had the character with the original voice of the also late Dirceu Oliveira intact.
- Because these redubs were made years after the original releases, the voice actors got old, and a dissonance is pretty much noticeable.
- For the 2003 redubs, they decided to always put a Fim (The End) title card after the episodes, even if they originally didn't have those. What makes it worse, is that in such cases, like the episodes Comida Fresca and O Estranho Soro do Dr. X, following their original ending title cards, a "Fim" title card was added for them anyway!
- These versions are the only ones that are available on the series' official YouTube channel and on Cartoon Network, Boomerang, and Tooncast.
- The voices of Mônica, Cebolinha, Cascão, Magali, and Chico Bento are still good.
- Sometimes, the music can actually be quite nice to hear, even if it's replacing the older ones.
- As mentioned above, the episodes were restored with better quality, and it helped to make them become popular to the new generations.
- For Se Liga na Turma da Mônica Volume 2, most of the shorts do retained their original soundtrack and voices.
- Thankfully, O Natal da Turma da Mônica, the episodes of As Aventuras da Turma da Mônica, A Princesa e o Robô, the two aforementioned episodes of As Novas Aventuras da Turma da Mônica, and the episodes of Turma da Mônica em: Quadro a Quadro never were redubbed.
- Some of the shorts eventually started to get shown with their original audio in later broadcasts on the aforementioned Turner Entertainment channels.
- The same happened with a few episodes in the their channel on YouTube.
Below is the episode "Super-Heróis", made in 1988 for the movie Turma da Mônica e a Estrelinha Mágica for comparison. The first video is the original audio as it was in the movie, while the second video is the redub that was made in 2003.