Jump to navigation Jump to search
Super Why!) comes and installs himself on the computers.
Oops, Why Their Systems Crashed
- The Flash animation in the two-dimensional ads is very stiff and cheap. Heck, it looks like as if MAD made a spoof on Super Why!.
- The title itself is also very stupid and sounds more like a cleaning or hygiene product.
- Indian stereotyping. This is ironic because these commercials were made in India.
- One ad suffers from sudden drops in audio quality.
- Terrible voice acting.
- The voice acting in the CGI ad sounds like it was done with text-to-speech bots rather than real people voicing the characters.
- In addition, Proto never has a consistent voice actor; in the CGI commercial, he is given a deep voice with a British accent, but in the 2D commercial, he has a soft voice and in the rap, he sounds like a generic teenager from a cartoon series with a Hindi or Urdu accent that sounds similar to the narrator from the infamous McDonald’s Pakistan Commercials.
- Low-budget quality across all the commercials (that were published in 2013 and 2014, which is still unacceptable).
- Proto's design is plagiarized from the title character Whyatt/Super Why from children's television series Super Why!. Despite being redesigned in 2018 to avoid copyright infringement, his newer design isn't any better and looks a lot creepier to look at.
- One of the videos has a school's principal going crazy because a student saw "pornography" on his computer, even though he was just looking at images of couples kissing.
- One of the commercials, perhaps the most famous one, was a cheesy rap song, which had offkey singing and some bad grammar here and there.
- A CGI ad shows a character who is like Proto with a mustache, and it has Proto too.
- Also in this commercial, when the computer crashes, it plays a censor bleep sound effect which is very unfitting as it's not a sound most computers make when they crash.
- In 2020, this ad was remade, and it is somehow even worse, with new animation errors everywhere and the animation looking a bit worse than it did before.
- In 2019, another ad was made, which somehow manages to be worse than the previous ones.
- The original version of the commercial mentioned in WIS #11 has passable CGI animation compared to the others, and while bad, it can be considered an improvement (depending on your view).
- As mentioned in WIS #8, Protegent would later redesign their mascot to avoid copyright infringement, though his newer design isn't any better and looks a lot creepier to look at.
- Similar to the Zazoo commercial, these ads have their "So bad, they're good" charm because of how unintentionally funny they are.
- These commercials became Internet memes, with some concerned that Protegent was an actual virus, which is what it's supposed to fight.
- In 2018, Proto, the Protegent mascot was actually redesigned due to copyright issues, though only slightly though, as he still looks exactly like Super Why.