Power Rangers Super Megaforce
Power Rangers Super Megaforce is the 21st season of the Power Rangers franchise. It is the sequel to Power Rangers Megaforce, continuing to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series. It is based on the Super Sentai series, Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger.
Why It Sucks
- Much like in the previous season, Gosei was a very useless mentor continuously giving the Rangers new powers, zords, upgrades, etc. without any proper buildup and barely doing anything to help them whatsoever and thus once again disregarding his "mentor" Zordon's rule of never escalate a fight unless forced to do so by the enemy.
- Also like in the previous season, Troy remains a very dull leader, showing little to no emotion. In the sixth episode of the season, he was rather contradictory over weapons as he lectures his fellow rangers twice, saying that a ranger never lets go of their weapons, despite fighting with his bare hands numerous times before that.
- In most fight scenes, the Pre-Zyuranger (even the suits of Himitsu Sentai Gorenger, the very first Sentai series from 1975, as seen in "The Grass is Always Greener... or Bluer" where it featured the Midorenger key) and core Dairanger suits are used, due to very lazy editing and were referred to as “New Powers”. "The Wrath" made this concept even worse by filming original footage of the Change Griffon, Green Flash (female version), Blue Mask, and Five Yellow suits and replacing VulEagle with Mighty Morphin' Red.
- Much like Megaforce, this season heavily relies on Sentai footage. Even in one episode where it features a cameo appearance by Nobuyuki's mother from the Gokaiger episode dubbed!
- Same with the previous season, very unfaithful to the source material.
- Below average acting.
- Useless cartoon sound effects just like the previous season.
- No character development, especially when there is a focus episode for one of the Rangers.
- Most of the creative concepts that were leftover from originally intended for this season were scrapped.
- The title is "super" silly than the previous one.
- Prince Vekar is an extremely unthreatening villain who is just a note-by-note copy of his Gokaiger counterpart, Warz Gill. Speaking of which, his character traits in the Arabic dub of the show have been completely retooled because of this.
- Speaking of which, Emperor Mavro is not much threatening either. Also, his motivations and goals make just about as much sense as the so-called "new powers".
- Not helping BQ#9, the Armada themselves is just a knock-off of the United Alliance of Evil, the villains in Power Rangers In Space.
- Robo Knight appears in the Legendary Battle at the end of the season, despite sacrificing himself in the seventeenth episode.
- Nickelodeon cared very little about the show with little to no promotion.
- The Legendary Battle is just a rushed and terrible excuse for a season finale, as the opponents are just mere, easy to beat, X-Borgs. Heck, it was so bad, that even Haim Saban himself hated it and the entire Super season and previous season, especially Two PR seasons of Samurai.
- Most of the primary concepts for this season are rushed and unexplained, such as Jake's team color changing from Black to Green upon morphing into Super Mega Green, and Troy becoming Super Saiyan to free Robo Knight from Vrak's brainwashing (this is due to Troy's counterpart Alata was harnessing the power of Gosei Angels in Goseiger).
- Most of the Sentai terms and traits were carried over in this adaptation. Example: When Troy activates Super Dino Mode as Dino Thunder Red, he calls out, "Dino Rampage!" It was more of an Abaranger term rather than Dino Thunder's and White Aquitar Ranger from Mighty Morphin' Alien Rangers shooting origamis which wasn't done in the show.
- An editing error during the Legendary Battle in which while the Alien and Ninja Storm Rangers fight off the X-Borgs, Tommy is heard in the background.
- The new ranger suits have an odd pirate theme going. This is a carryover from the Sentai version, in which the main Rangers were actual space pirates (and their leader had the quite-honestly awesome name Captain Marvelous).
- And finally, to rub salt into the wound, this show aired concurrently with the terrible Ressha Sentai ToQger.
- The head writer for Super Megaforce, Jonathon Tzachor, was taken over by Judd Lynn, Therefore, we’ll never have to deal with his incompetent and uncreative writing ever again.
- There are some likable characters, such as Emma, Gia, Robo Knight and Vrak from the previous season and Orion in this season.
- The theme song is kind of catchy, despite being a remix of the theme song for Power Rangers Samurai.
- Orion's backstory and acting were over-the-top and it was way better than the core heroes.
- The anniversary gimmick with the Ranger Keys was unique.
- It Had some good episodes, such as All Hail Prince Vekar.
- Some fans of the Power Rangers series may enjoy it.
- It spawned several funny Memes, such as the "Super Mega hurry up and destroy them already" Line.
- Unlike the other Neo Saban seasons, it never had a Halloween special nor a Christmas special.
- The next season, Power Rangers Dino Charge (first season) will become a major improvement.