Power Play (Kick Buttowski)
"Power Play" is the thirty fourth episode of the second season of the Disney XD animated series BTSW.
This episode revolves around Kick being the understudy of bullying nerd Ronaldo, and must ensure that he never gets hurt or be forced to take his place in the school play with Kendall.
Why It Sucks
- Kick's reasons for not wanting to be the new Romeo and kiss Kendall are not explained well; it barely amounts to "he hates drama" and that's it.
- Throughout the episode, Kick comes off as a complete wimp. In several past episodes, he's able to withstand a lot of heavy duty beatings, but in this episode, he seems to be visibly straining each time something bad happens to him. To name a few, in the first scenes of him saving Ronaldo where he's tied to a pole and slammed with a television set and then slammed by soccer balls show him taking it rather hard. Quite out of character for a tough, collected kid like him.
- Ronaldo is no better. Aside from constantly practicing his lines in the worst of places (such as an active soccer field and during class), he eventually catches on to Kick's attempts to protect him and blackmails him into being his helper wherever he goes. Kick ends up receiving more abuse while Ronaldo basks in undeserved joy.
- The incredibly lame ending where after Ronaldo is knocked out anyways (courtesy of Kendall dropping a sandbag on him), Kick, to avoid the kiss, deliberately knocks himself out. Also, shouldn't his helmet soften the blow?
- The title can be seen as a lie, as the term "power play" and the art suggests something awesome may happen. Spoilers: not really much happens that could be considered or awesome.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- At the very least, Ronaldo getting the sandbag dropped on him was funny and well deserved.