Planet Sheen is a computer-animated television series that aired from 2010 to 2013 on Nickelodeon. It's a spin-off of The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.
When Sheen Estevez accidentally crash lands Jimmy's rocket on Planet Zeenu, he makes a few friends while trying to rebuild his rocket to get back home.
Why It Sucks
- The main problem with this series is that the idea of a series centering on a character like Sheen is unoriginal, lazy and not a good idea, since Sheen was designed to be a comic relief and not a protagonist.
- Laughable and forgettable theme song, which is all just random things being sung by Kevin Michael Richardson in a deep monotone voice.
- Despite the premise of Sheen attempting to return to Earth, Sheen actually doesn't have any concern with returning throughout the series. On that topic, Sheen decides to stay and live on Zeenu in the final episode, making it end on an obvious cliffhanger.
- In fact, it also ends with Nesmith (the literal butt-monkey of the show) getting a cold, only to get worse near the end of the episode.
- Aside from Sheen, none of the other characters from the original series are in the show. Because of this, you could replace Sheen with some other random character and it wouldn't make a single difference.
- To include this, Jimmy Neutron hasn't made any physical appearances in the series.
- False publicity: The promos that were made for the series stated that Jimmy and his friends would have an important role within the series. However, they do not appear or are mentioned in this cartoon as stated above.
- Very poor, uncreative, and laughable character names. For example, the main villain of the show is named Dorkus.
- The animation, while good in most episodes, is cheap-looking, poor, and lazy for 2010 standards. Adding insult to injury, The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius looks better than this and that it came out eight years prior.
- The Zeenuains' character designs all look poor and unappealing.
- Mostly bad voice acting, even from actors such as Jeff Garcia and Fred Tatasciore. However, Bob Joles does give a good performance as Nesmith.
- On the new planet Sheen finds himself it does not feel like a technologically and intellectually advanced civilization, as the aliens live at some point in a monarchical way mixed with a republic,at the same time each of them are extremely submissive and ignorant to realize that Sheen is an ordinary human or that they are afraid of Jimmy's rocket.
- Nesmith can be considered a Butt-Monkey, a character who gets hurt for no apparent reason. The same can be said for Dorkus, the main antagonist.
- Most of the new characters in the series are merely dumb replacements for the characters from the original show. For example, the character Doppy is basically Carl but as an alien. He has the same body shape and beady eyes, personality and even the same voice actor of Carl, Rob Paulsen. In fact, Mr. Enter even just called him Carl in his review of the show because of this. Oh, and did we mention he's basically an alien Carl?
- Nesmith is a soft parody of Jimmy Neutron.
- Dorkus is a combination pathetic and lazy between Professor Finbar Calamitous.
- Pinter is a submissive mix between Linda Beautiful.
- Aseefa is a poorly made copy of Libby.
- The Emperor is a more silly combination of Hugh Neutron and Ham.
- Princess Oom is a frenzied, maddening, and grotesque parody of Cindy Vortex.
- Grish the Handsome is a ridiculed and flanked version of Nick Dean.
- Global and Hajing, and Droopy's parents, are stupid and ridiculous versions of Carl's parents, as well as sharing the same design.
- In Rob Paulsen's "Talkin' Toons Podcast" where he impersonating Carl, he reveals many hidden details, including the fact that Doppy was just him in a costume while Sheen is currently in juvenile hall (back on Earth after returning from Zeenu).
- This show has a lot of gross-out and toilet humor, which was not common in the original show.
- On that topic, the episode "Is This Cute?" features a pony with a rainbow mane named Boh-Rok who is feared by the aliens, shoots out snot and picks people up with his nose hair, all of which are disgusting for audiences.
- Outdated boyish and girlish stereotypes that are very annoying, especially the latter.
- Aseefa isn't as good as a love interest for Sheen in here like Libby in the original show was.
- The series lacks melodies or background music.
- It is most likely a franchise killer for Jimmy Neutron, which means, since the show's cancellation, there have been no attempts at making any continuation or spin-off of the series and that Nickelodeon basically ignores the franchise.
- Besides that, the failure of this show also botched O Entertainment/Omation, which has remained dormant since it ended.
- At least Sheen's voice actor, Jeff Garcia, reprised his role in the show.
- Sheen's character design is still identical to his Jimmy Neutron design and hasn't changed.
- Carl does make a cameo in a flashback in "Is This Cute?".
- Bob Joles gives a pretty good performance as Nesmith.
- At least some of the crew of the original show, including the creators, were involved in this show.
- The animation, while cheap, poor, and lazy looking, is good in plenty of episodes.
- The pilot episode was decent.
- Nesmith and Dorkus are likable characters in the show.
- Like Sheen's design, other designs of some of the characters such as Nesmith and Aseefa's are passable as well.
- Nesmith could be a bit smart and Aseefa is both protective and helpful to Sheen in the beginning. She is also a talented yodeller as she yodels Mary Schnider's "Clarinet Polka Yodel" in the plot, and in other episodes.
While The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius was well-received and gained a cult following, Planet Sheen was panned by both critics and fans of the original, had only one season, often aired episodes out of order, and currently has a 3.0 on IMDb. In addition, it has constantly been listed as one of the worst cartoon spin-offs of all time and one of the worst Nickelodeon shows of all time.
Saberspark placed this on #4 on The Top 10 Worst Nickelodeon Cartoons.
- There was originally going to be a made-for-television film finale in which Jimmy and his friends go to Zeenu to find Sheen and bring him back to Earth, but it was cancelled due to the series' failure.
- Carl was originally going to be part of the series and it would've been about both Sheen and Carl stealing Jimmy's rocket, but it was changed to being just about Sheen due to executive meddling and so, Doppy was created.
- John A. Davis later made an announcement that he regretted working on this show.
- The show wasn't going to be a spin-off and was actually going to be a show called "Red Acres"; the show was supposed to be about some random fast food worker who got launched into space and crash landed onto a planet with hillbilly aliens, but Nickelodeon didn't pick it up and it was retooled into this.