Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain
Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain is the retooling of the American animated television series Pinky and the Brain (itself being a spin-off from Animaniacs), with the title characters being joined by Elmyra Duff from Tiny Toon Adventures.
The series starts with ACME Labs destroyed, leaving Pinky and Brain homeless and on the run from a man named Wally Faust. Pinky and the Brain finally end up in a pet store and take refuge inside a turtle; they are still inside the turtle when it is purchased by Elmyra Duff and named "Mr. Shellbutt". In their new home, Pinky and the Brain continue to attempt new methods of trying to take over the world while enduring Elmyra's affection at the same time.
Why It Sucks
- The whole reason this show exists is because of executive meddling on the part of Warner Bros., who wanted Pinky and the Brain to be part of a sitcom "more like The Simpsons".
- Right beyond the bat, the pairing of both Pinky and Brain with Elmyra is a poor mismatch due to not only poor chemistry between the trio, but also because it goes against the idea set by its original creators that both Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain are set in separate universes.
- Elmyra has been flanderized beyond belief in this show. She is even more unlikable than she was in Tiny Toon Adventures, as she'll punish Brain just for using scientific terms. In addition, she is even dumber and more annoying than she was in Tiny Toon Adventures, which ruins what could've been some good episodes.
- The writing for Elmyra is childish, cliched and predictable.
- While the songs from Pinky and the Brain were good, the songs in this show are forced and just plain annoying.
- The humor isn't even close to the humor the original shows had.
- The setting just doesn't work for a show about mice trying to take over the world.
- Because of the show's setting, both Pinky and the Brain get constantly tortured by Elmyra for no reason whatsoever throughout the series. This is unlike the original show, where the reasons why Pinky and the Brain often fail in their attempts at world domination is due to usually karmic reasons such as the impossibility of Brain's plan, Brain's own arrogance or overconfidence, Pinky's stupidity or just circumstances beyond their control. Worse still, Elmyra never receives any comeuppance for her actions in this show.
- The name of Elmyra's pet turtle "Mr. Shellbutt" is an incredibly stupid name, even for a pet.
- Because of this, Steven Spielberg stopped making any more incarnations of Animaniacs or Tiny Toon Adventures until 2020 when Hulu rebooted Animaniacs.
- Even the creators of Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain who worked on this show were not happy with this show and the changes the Warner Bros. executives made to it when it came out, even going so far as to reference it in the show's opening theme song as well as having Brain lament "I deeply resent this..." at the end.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The voice acting and animation are still good.
Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain got a 5.8 on IMDB, with worse audience reviews.
- Peter Hastings quit Warner Bros. and left for Disney after helping with the episode "You'll Never Eat Food Pellets in This Town Again!".
- In Brazil, the show had excessive reruns on the Saturday morning children's block of SBT Sábado Animado during the late 2000s and early 2010s, this is due to the fact that Silvia Abravanel started to direct the block in 2007 and in that period several classic cartoons were removed in favor of broadcasting only reruns of the more childish and lighter versions of cartoon characters.
- In 2017, Tom Ruegger confirmed that the show was non-canon.