Persona 5: The Animation
Persona 5: The Animation is a 2018 anime based on the 2017 game Persona 5. It first aired on April 7, 2018. An English dub wasn't available until early in August 18 2020, when it was a digital release exclusively on Funimation, which had all the 26 episodes including the 2 special episodes available on that date.
A high school student named Ren Amamiya and his friends form a group called the Phantom Thieves of Hearts to change the hearts of those with corrupted desires.
- The animation can look stiff at times.
- It doesn't really retell the events from the game that well.
- It changed some of the events from the game in the anime. Like during the fight between Ren Amamiya/Joker and Goro Akechi/Crow/Black Mask, the other Phantom Thieves don't contribute to the fight that much.
- Arsene is so overpowered that during his fight with Loki, he kills him within a minute. When in the game, it took everyone from the Phantom Thieves of Hearts to defeat him.
- The Phantom Thieves also took down Masayoshi Shido in just a few minutes.
- Ren Amamiya/Joker talks even more than he did in the game, when in the game, Ren was a silent protagonist who rarely had any lines.
- The events of in the episodes feel rushed.
- The infamous anime version of the All-Out-Attack.
- Missed opportunity: The Day Breakers and the two OVA's: "Proof of Justice" and "A Magical Valentine's Day" are the only episodes not to get a English dub.
- Some funny moments like where Ren tells the maid he and his friends hired that he's a dad.
- The animation is sometimes nice to look at.
- The character cut-ins (Like in Persona 3 and Persona 4) are a nice touch.
- The voice acting is still great, as the main cast (from both Japanese (except for the Original Persona 5 Chihaya and Kaneshiro) and English dubs (except for the Original Persona 5 Tae and Shinya) reprise their roles.
- At least we got our favorite parts from the game in animation form.
- The first opening, Break in, Break out is really good.
- The characters are still likable and relatable.
- We at least get to see Joker's real name just like the manga.
The anime received mix-to-negative reviews at the time of it's release during it's original run with the Japanese Dub in 2018-19. The English Dub has yet to get reception by fans.