Persona 5: The Animation
Persona 5: The Animation is a 2018 anime based on the 2017 game Persona 5. It first aired on April 7, 2018. An English dub wasn't available until early in August 18 2020, when it was a digital release exclusively on Funimation, which had all the 26 episodes including the 2 special episodes available on that date.
A high school student named Ren Amamiya and his friends form a group called the Phantom Thieves of Hearts to change the hearts of those with corrupted desires.
- The animation can look stiff at times. Depending on your view at least.
- It doesn't really retell the events from the game that well.
- It changed some of the events from the game in the anime. Like during the fight between Ren Amamiya/Joker and Goro Akechi/Crow/Black Mask, the other Phantom Thieves don't contribute to the fight that much.
- Sometimes, many of the episodes can be hard to sit through. Even the Game tells the Story way better than this.
- Arsene is so overpowered that during his fight with Loki, he kills him within a minute. When in the game, it took everyone from the Phantom Thieves of Hearts to defeat him.
- The Phantom Thieves also took down Masayoshi Shido in just a few minutes.
- Ren Amamiya/Joker talks even more than he did in the game, when in the game, Ren was a silent protagonist who rarely had any lines.
- The events of in the episodes feel rushed.
- The soundtrack is heavily recycled from the games (unlike the Persona 4 anime, where most songs from the game was remixed, and the Persona 3 movies, which had several new tracks)
- The infamous anime version of the All-Out-Attack.
- The Day Breakers and the two OVA's: "Proof of Justice" and "A Magical Valentine's Day" didn't even get an English dub.
- Some funny moments like where Ren tells the maid he and his friends hired that he's a dad.
- The animation is sometimes nice to look at.
- The character cut-ins (Like in Persona 3 and Persona 4) are a nice touch.
- The voice acting is still great, as the main cast (from both Japanese (except for the Original Persona 5 Chihaya Mifune and Junya Kaneshiro's voice actors who passed away) and English dubs (except for the Original Persona 5 Tae Takemi's voice actress) reprise their roles.
- The replacement voice actors for Chihaya Mifune and Kaneshiro also reprised their roles in Persona 5 Royal.
- At least we got our favorite parts from the game in animation form.
- Even if the soundtrack mostly consists of music from the game, it's still great.
- The first opening, Break in, Break out is really good.
- The characters are still likable and relatable.
- We at least get to see Joker's real name just like the manga.
- The character designs and visuals are very identical to the ones from the game.
The anime received mix-to-negative reviews at the time of it's release during it's original run with the Japanese Dub in 2018-19. The English Dub has yet to get reception by fans.