Peppa Pig is a long-running British preschool animated television series directed and produced by Astley Baker Davies in association with Entertainment One.
- The main problem with this show is that the characterization is really poor and cliché:
- Peppa Pig herself is a bad role model as well as an unlikable protagonist. She is mean to her family, fat shames her father every now and then, and always gives out bad morals to the children watching.
- George Pig is an annoying repetitive character who repeats words constantly and has a very irritating crying voice clip.
- Daddy Pig, while sympathetic, feels like a clichéd cartoon dad in most areas. He's like a preschool Homer Simpson with none of his charm, while also being the butt monkey and a chew toy of the family.
- That said, even if Daddy Pig is fat and should do some exercise, it's really hypocritical on his family's part to fat shame him for this, because all male adults in the show have the exact same body.
- Suzy Sheep is overly bossy and she always tells people what to do, yet always criticises Peppa for this, which is a sign of pulling the victim card on someone who did nothing wrong.
- Edmond Elephant is a cliched and one-dimensional smart kid that knows everything.
- The voice acting and the animal noises are both very annoying to listen to.
- Some of the animal noises don't even sound like their real-life counterparts. For example, the sheep noises sound more like nervous laughing than what an actual sheep sounds like.
- The character designs and animation (while both simplistic), despite not being openly bad, are lazily drawn.
- The crying also looks rather weird, as it looks more like a sprinkler than how it looks in a cartoon. Also, it happens very frequently (mostly George).
- It also gets multiply abused in some episodes such as "Digging Up The Road" and "Edmond Elephant's Birthday".
- There is little to no evident character development throughout the show.
- Almost no common logic. Granted this is a kids' show, but that does not excuse how nonsensical its logic really is.
- The morals are either poorly shown, forced into children's faces or nonexistent in most of the episodes.
- Not to mention, some of them are very dangerous and irresponsible, such as swimming in a hot or cold sea at a warm or snowy beach (in the episode, "Sun, Sea And Snow"), and even playing with spiders (in the episode, "Mister Skinnylegs"). The latter episode was banned in Australia due to having this moral. What’s worse is that this episode got a sequel called "Spider Web".
- The music and the songs get very repetitive and annoying.
- There's also episodes that didn't age well such as Not Very Well, George Catches a Cold, and Pedro's Cough, especially the latter, due to... certain events.
- The narration can be repetitive and obnoxious, due to it constantly stating the obvious.
- Bad writing that is confusing and feels like the writers aren’t trying to write good stories at all.
- Similar to PAW Patrol, Postman Pat (Special Delivery Service) and Fireman Sam since season 6, the show commonly introduces new characters and vehicles just to sell toys and nothing else.
- They sometimes rip off other shows in some episodes for reasons.
- It even sometimes insults or does something offensive to real things like in one part in two episodes of the show, The Outback and Kylie Kangaroo, Kylie's family is cooking up corn on the cob (who was origined from Mexico about 9,000 years ago) instead of a great aussie BBQ and Kylie's family is from Australia. Even Bluey, an Australian show itself,n got the nice Aussie BBQ right with the episode, BBQ.
- The Cinema Experiences are marketed as "Films", but they are just compilations of Peppa Pig episodes, especially the Australia and London one.
- They are clearly running out of ideas for episodes. For example, the season 7 episode "Monkey Has a Cough" is just pretend-play of a toy having a cough. But these episodes are made just to milk the show.
- Some good, or at least tolerable episodes here and there, like Thunderstorm.
- Some moments can be funny depending on your point of view.
- The later seasons did improve a little bit, though not much.
- Mummy Pig and Daddy Pig do have kind of a heartwarming and cute romantic relationship on some occasions.
- Speaking of Daddy Pig, he is rather sympathetic thanks to Peppa always fat shaming him.
- Emily Elephant, Danny Dog, Pedro Pony, Candy Cat, Zoe Zebra and Freddy Fox are also the only tolerable characters too.
- The character's designs are kind of cute despite being poorly drawn.
- Likewise, Peppa can be cute sometimes.
- Some of the voice acting is pleasant to listen to, especially the Brian Blessed-voiced Grampy Rabbit.
- The instrumental version of the theme song is pretty decent and at least it's catchy.
- At least they don't try to be hip with the kids.
- In 2019, the creators of Peppa Pig made a CD album called Peppa Pig: My First Album.
- On the short-lived Cartoon Network preschool block "Tickle U", Peppa Pig was given an American English dub that is now lost and has no longer aired ever since.
- The original British version started airing in the US on Noggin in 2007, then later became part of the Nick Jr. channel when it rebranded. It also sometimes airs on the Nick Jr. block on the main Nickelodeon channel.
- In 2019, mature Peppa Pig videos were banned on TikTok in China after becoming associated with a “gangster” subculture and also for exposing children to adult content. However, the normal Peppa Pig is still popular in China.
- This show along with Granny spawned the famous Roblox horror game "Piggy" created by MiniToon.
- There is another show created by Astley Baker Davies known as Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom which is a lot better than Peppa Pig due to it teaching better morals that this show would have thought, as well as having tolerable, likeable, and humourous characters, interesting plots, etc. Sadly, one thing that is similar to another thing in this show is King Thistle being called "old", just like how Daddy Pig is constantly called "fat". Ben and Holly is also included in the Best TV Shows Wiki.
- The face designs of the Peppa Pig characters was originally based on the other Astley Baker Davies shows such as "The Big Knights" (1999-2000) and their short film "Jolly Roger." (1999)
The show used to receive positive reviews from parents when it first came out. But as people started to point out flaws with the show a few years later, the show started to receive mixed receptions towards parents. The show currently sits at a 6.3 rating on IMDB.