Out of Jimmy's Head
Out of Jimmy's Head is a show that aired on Cartoon Network from 2007-2008. It is based on the movie Re-Animated. The show is live-action with animated characters just like the movie.
Teenager Jimmy Roberts had a brain transplant and ended up with famous cartoonist Milt Appleday's frozen brain full of animated characters. Jimmy sees all the characters in his everyday life and his best friend Craig's older sister Robin is a huge Appleday fan and the prettiest girl in school. There's just one problem... Milt's son Sonny is trying to steal the brain back to pass the art off as his own.
Why It Sucks
- Unfunny, annoying and stupid jokes and humor, which is often fart jokes and toilet humor.
- Cliché plots. It doesn't even follow the events of the film.
- The cartoon characters (while tolerable) have no important roles in any of the episodes. You could take them out and nothing would change.
- Horrible voice acting, even from actors such as Bill Dwyer and Dominic Janes.
- Some characters are downright hateful. Here are two examples: Jimmy is a boy who you won't put in middle school in real life. Craig enjoys using his friend for cash.
- It is really strange that Jimmy's sister is an alien, and their mom is an astronaut who found her.
- There is an overused horrible laugh track that plays often in the last 13 episodes. The story gets irritating after a while because of this laugh track.
- Robin and Craig Wheeler are "blackwashed". They were originally Asian in the film.
- Downright silly premise, even more than in the original film.
- Sonny Appleday is a disturbing and really pathetic villain because he wants to get Jimmy's brain.
- It's never explained how Jimmy is able to automatically see cartoons.
- Some plots make no sense. One episode for example involved Jimmy having a rollercoaster in his house, and it's about as weird as you'd expect it to be.
- This show kick-started what's known as Cartoon Network's first dark age in the late 2000s and started the trend of live-action shows on a network focusing on animated programs, such as for example the infamous CN Real block in 2009, that were mostly mediocre and forgettable.
- Though it was actually Big Bag that was Cartoon Network's first live-action show, but not even that show would be this bad.
- The show has a creative concept of mixing animation with live-action, although the aforementioned flaws make the execution rather poor.
- The first 7 episodes had no laugh track.
- Everything else follows the film's source material.
- The show has a pretty catchy theme song.
- Decent art style and animation.
- Some funny moments, such as Golly screaming "WHAT?!" after Crocco says he's not his best friend, screaming "YOU CALL THIS LIGHTLY TOASTED?!", and especially Jimmy's dad.
- There was a rumor going around that this was once lost media. Before it resurfaced on YouTube, it was called "Schizophrenic Jimmy" because of the premise.
- It was the only Cartoon Network series to be affected by the 2007 Writer's Guild Strike.
- After the series ended, both Dominic Janes (the actor who played Jimmy) and Rhea Lando (the actress who played Yancy (Jimmy's sister)) flopped in their careers, and to date, they have no credits after 2009 and 2010 respectively.
- Cartoon Network did not acknowledge the series again until 2018, where Golly had a cameo role in the OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes crossover special "Crossover Nexus," alongside a small cameo with Dolly in the 20th-anniversary mural from 2012.
This show received mostly negative reviews. It has a 2.2/10 rating on TV.com and another 2.2/10 rating on IMDb. Neil Genzlinger of The New York Times wrote "Cast aside all that clutter, though, and this is really just another show about a seventh-grader trying to fit in. It’s also a show with a sly sense of humor when it’s not being self-consciously frenetic", but praised Bil Dwyer for his comedic role. It is considered one of the worst Cartoon Network shows ever.