Os Trapalhões (2017)
Os Trapalhões (2017) was a comedy revival of the homonymous series, in celebration of 40 years of the original series. 10 episodes were produced. The revival brings the clumsy veterans Didi Mocó (Renato Aragão) and Dedé Santana with a new generation of Trapalhões rookies: Didico (Lucas Veloso), Dedeco (Bruno Gissoni), Mussa (Mumuzinho) and Zaca (Gui Santana), nephews of the original characters.
Originally three seasons of humorous series were announced even before their debut. However, due to negative public and critical reception, the program was canceled on April 10, 2018 after a season with only ten episodes.
Why It’s a Trap
- Unlike the original 1977 Os Trapalhões series was famous for their derogatory jokes to black people, women, northeastern people and gay people and the politically incorrect jokes that made the original series very good and funny, this 2017 revival takes all of that away to avoid controversy nowadays, no thanks to the today's politically correct, is the main reason why this revival didn't work.
- In one episode, Didi says for Didico and his friends he cannot show the characters drinking alcoholic beverages, because it would leave a bad message for the children of today, which is hypocrisy, since in the original series it showed the characters (including Mussum) drinking alcoholic beverages.
- The new Trapalhões troupe does not act together in this revival, because of Dedeco hardly appeared.
- Ernani Morais was miscast as Sergeant Pincel, despite the character's original actor, Roberto Guilherme is still alive and they should have asked him to reprise his role as Sergeant Pincel when they were doing this revival, which they didn't.
- Poor acting from Nego do Borel as Tião, compared to the late Tião Macalé in the original series of Os Trapalhões.
- Several of the sketches in this revival are repeated and some of the jokes are bland, like Mussa punches a man in the head at Pharmacy Mocó, when he asked about the headache remedy.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The intro is nice, since it’s a mix of 2D animation with real backgrounds.
The program received negative reviews from most television critics as well as fans of the classic 1977 series. For Endrigo Annyston of the Observatório da Televisão, Unlike the revival of Sai de Baixo, or the remake of Escolinha do Professor Raimundo, the format lacks grace, even in spite of indisputable performance shows by Gui Santana, Mumuzinho and Lucas Veloso. On the other hand, according to Ivan Finotti of Folha de S.Paulo, First, we have Didi and Dedé in person. They are joined by a new quartet, Didico, Dedeco, Mussa and Zaca, modeled on the originals. The first two, perhaps due to the presence of the old masters, still seem to be looking for a space. The last two are not. They shine with all the sketches of the good old Mussum and Zacarias. It is possible to feel like a child again watching Mussa today ("Today I want my hairdo like Giovanna Antonellis from novelis. Do you make brushes?") And Zaca ("Hi-hi-hi"). As well, the ratings for the revival was not one of the best. Carlos Dias, former number one fan of Os Trapalhões, criticized the revival on his YouTube channel and gave an idea it would be a different format that the revival is, where Didi and Dedé sitting would show the best moments of the classic series that fascinated the country in the 70s to the 90s.
This was the last TV program Renato Aragão did at Rede Globo, two years before not renewing the contract with Globo and left the network on June 30, 2020, after 44 years working on the network.