New Bully on the Block (Hey Arnold!)
New Bully on the Block is an episode from the Nickelodeon show Hey Arnold!.
Arnold and his friends must face two bullies when a new kid, Ludwig, returns and challenges Wolfgang for control of the vacant lot.
Why It Should Get Bullied
- This is pretty much a torture episode for Arnold and his friends, as they get bullied by Wolfgang and Ludwig’s gangs whenever they stand up to them, and are forced to play football to make up their teams.
- The bullies, Wolfgang and Ludwig, and their gangs fight each other, and also terrorize Arnold and his friends in the process while taking their lot, Gerald Field.
- Ludwig is an extremely unlikable one-time antagonist as he bullies Arnold and his friends for no reason what-so-ever.
- Much like "Arnold Betrays Iggy", this episode is also pretty mean spirited, as the bullies fight non-stop towards each other, even when the kids do something else, as well as the bullying the bullies do to the kids.
- The infamous scene where Helga says "They’re beating the crap out of each other.", which (while not really a swear) is a strong and very out-of-place language to say in a kid show.
- Even when the kids stand up to them, it still goes badly wrong in the end, as the bullies still beat them up.
- When Arnold set them up to meet each other, Ludwig takes Arnold’s lunch money during that time.
- Arnold setting them up to play football against each other sort of backfires when they have their teams made up of the kids.
- While decent to watch, the kids looked roughed up at the end of the football game.
- Bad Ending: When the bullies get along, they take over Gerald Field anyway, and beat up the students, and at night, the bullies were still there while Arnold, Gerald, Helga and Stinky are seen hanging by their shirts on the goalpost, this ending is saying that this would be happy, but in truth, its very horrifying if you think about as now Arnold and his friends are gonna have to deal with TWO bullies.
- Wolfgand, Ludwig, and their gang never gets punish for their actions.
- This episode includes a really bad and horrible moral, in that being a bully to others is okay and that standing up for yourself is wrong, as shown by Arnold and his friends getting beaten up by Wolfgand, Ludwig and their gang after they stand up to them, and unfortunately, it gets repeated in two infamously hated Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends episodes.
- The plans Arnold comes up with are pretty smart and clever.
- The scene where the kids play in the street is a good homage to the episodes where they used to play in the streets before they founded Gerald Field.
- The football game the kids played was decently enjoyable.
- Ludwig and his gang have their only appearance in this episode, and are never seen again.
- At least Arnold and his friends get Gerald Field back, as seen in the next episode it appears in, "Arnold Visits Arnie".
This episode is considered by many fans to be one of the worst episodes of the show due to Arnold and his friends continuously being tormented by Wolfgang and Ludwig, only for them to end up losing Gerald Field to the two bullies at the end.