Musclecup (The Powerpuff Girls, 2016)
Musclecup is the eleventh episode (and fiftieth episode overall) of Season 2 of the 2016 Powerpuff Girls reboot. It premiered on Cartoon Network on June 11, 2017.
Buttercup's intention of getting buff goes too far when she overworks at the gym.
Why It's "Ab"-surdly Weak
- The plot of this episode has been done many times before in shows such as The Simpsons, Regular Show, and most notably, the episode "Josh Gets Ripped" from Close Enough (even though that episode and show came after this one). A character gets muscles to be able to do something better but fails in something else as a result.
- Buttercup with muscles and a tan looks very out of place and unfitting for her.
- She looks even worse when she loses her muscles and becomes incredibly fat.
- The use of stock images when Buttercup's abs are introduced isn't pleasant to watch.
- Ab Man is a very uncreative name for a superhero with abs.
- The way Buttercup goes back to normal is very complicated and has a lot of plot holes included:
- Buttercup goes back to the gym and sits on a couch in front of a television there because apparently, there's a section of the gym dedicated to sitting around and gaining weight.
- This doesn't make Buttercup completely normal, however, she gets incredibly fat. Then, she exercises to lose that fat, and she goes back to normal size. In reality, you'd just have to stop exercising to lose your muscles, and that would be the end of it.
- This episode includes a hoverboard, which is another attempt at being "trendy", however, hoverboards were big one year ago.
- Fuzzy Lumpkins makes a cameo appearance.
- There is a funny joke where Buttercup thinks about why she wants to get buff, and it is represented with a spinner with four sections reading "Social", "Health", "Fitness", and "Peer Pressure". It lands on "Peer Pressure".
- Decent Ending: Buttercup gives up her muscles to save her sisters and realizes that you don't need to be strong to be a superhero since it’s the moral of the episode.
- The title is referenced in the fourth cup battle of Mario Strikers: Battle League, even though it came out five years later.