Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under the age of eighteen.
WARNING! This article is NSFL!
This article may contain content that is disturbing, including themes of rape, murder, abuse, drugging, crime, disaster, tragedy, etc.
Mr. Pickles is an animated series airing on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim programming block. It debuted in September of 2013 and the series finale aired on November 18th, 2019, thus being replaced by its spinoff, Momma Named me Sheriff.
Old Town is a small, old-fashioned place that's slowly being overtaken by the modern world. Among its residents is the Goodman family, including 6-year-old Tommy. The innocent boy gets into adventures around town with his best friend, the family's lovable dog, Mr. Pickles. The pooch seems to be a sweet dog who loves pickles - hence his name - and he gets one whenever he's good! But Mr. Pickles has an evil streak that only Tommy's grandfather knows about: Mr. Pickles likes to wander off - to kill and mutilate.
- Most of the character designs are incredibly grotesque, uncanny and bland at the same (especially on the old people), which is made somewhat worse by the detailed animation.
- Speaking of the animation, despite being detailed has a lot of errors like the idle movement of the feet from a cop when exploring a bloody cave in one episode and the frame rate being very choppy, especially for Adult Swim standards (Hell, Dr. Weird had better frame rates animation than this!)
- The artwork looks like a 2005 Newgrounds flash cartoon.
- The show's appeal focuses on being as edgy, crude, and offensive as possible, unlike the Newgrounds series Retarded Animal Babies, which handles this better.
- Mr. Pickles engages in extremely violent behavior and even does blood orgies with other animals and people dead or alive. To make things worse, that combined with the aforementioned grotesque character designs, it's pretty messed up.
- Incredibly horrifying and disturbing episodes, such as "The Cheeseman", "A.D.D.", and "Brain Download."
- The jokes are either very perverted or very stupid.
- The color scheme is hideous since it has that tipical "very special shade of vomit".
- Some of the music, especially the theme song, can get annoying.
- The voice acting is dull for the most part.
- Henry Goodman (The Grandfather) is the only character who knows that Mr. Pickles is evil. Unfortunately, he's the show's Butt-Monkey because nobody believes him, and Mr. Pickles terrorizes him, with most of the time, doing it for fun. And in the Season 3 finale, Mr. Pickles frames Grandpa for murder. However, Henry is a likable and understandable and if anything, a relatable character.
- Awful ending: In the final episode, "The Tree of Flesh", Mr. Pickles finally gets framed for his actions and Henry is finally claimed to be innocent. But when he switches back to his original body, he sees his show dog wife twerking at him to follow her. But it turns out that Henry swap bodies with the show dog and finally kills Mr. Pickles, when we finally think it’s over, Henry gives birth to Mr. Pickles’s puppy, thus making this finale very unsatisfying.
- This sitcom is like an adult version of Kid vs. Kat which is no better.
- Henry being the only one knowing Mr. Pickles' true colors and being attacked by him non-stop is similar to how Coop Burtonburger (along with Dennis Chan and Fiona Munson) is the only character to know Mr. Kat's true colors and always getting bullied by Mr. Kat.
- Nobody believing Henry about Mr. Pickles being evil is just like how nobody believing Coop about Mr. Kat being evil, especially when his evidence is destroyed.
- The show's idea and concept of a family dog that is secretly satanic is just incredibly ridiculous and stupid.
- Mr Pickles is very unlikeable character do to him torment Henry and get no punishment for his action and have no character other than being the killer.
- The deaths and murders are sometimes done in creative ways.
- Henry is the only likable character as he truly know Mr. Pickles Satanic self and even tried to murder him Season 4.
- At least the animation improved compared to the pilot.
- Some good episodes like "Loose Tooth", "Vegans" and The Season 3 Finale.
- The show did get better in Season 2 and saw a massive improvement.
- The show did get a better spin-off called "Momma Named Me Sheriff", similar to Comedy Central's Triptank.
- Mr. Pickles at least do care about most of his family, and most of the people he had killed are done as revenge for hurting his owner, Tommy in some way.
- Mr. Pickles' design is also passable and isn't grotesque to look at.
- Mentioned before, the animation is well detailed, despite being grotesque.
Mr. Pickles received mixed reviews from critics and audiences alike, but it was popular during the show's run and had a cult-following. The show received positive reception on Google as it holds an 89%, which translates to a 4.5/5. It also received a 7.4 on IMDb and a 4.9 on TV.com.