Monster Buster Club
Monster Buster Club is a French-Canadian CGI animated television series in 52 22-minute episodes, created by Vincent Chalvon-Demersay and David Michel, produced by the Marathon group and broadcast for the first time in Asia on May 3, 2008, on June 2, 2008 on Jetix in Europe and then on June 9, 2008 in the United States and on YTV in Canada. In France, it was broadcast on Jetix, Disney XD, TF1 and Canal J then rebroadcast on Gulli.
The series features three twelve-year-old teenagers, aided by an alien girl named Cathy, which is tasked with saving their town, Singletown, from alien invasions. With her grandfather, Cathy reforms a secret organization founded centuries ago, the Monster Buster Club, often abbreviated MBC. The MBC's objective is to locate alien criminals seeking refuge in Singletown, capture them, and send them to galactic authorities.
- Misleading title: It's not really a club since only 4 people are there
- To get the elephant out of the room the show rips off some shows such as:
- Codename: Kids Next Door for the plot of 4 people forming a secret organization.
- Totally Spies: due to the fact that it's children who have to save their city by skipping class and wearing jumpsuits.
- Ironically, Totally Spies and MBC are made by the same studio Marathon Media.
- Danny Phantom: it's a bit similar because they have a weapon that sucks up aliens and sends them to their world.
- Similar to Mysticons, it resumes in a terrible way the formula of the Ninja Turtles namely Chef/Nerd/Badass/Comic.
- The CGI animation while decent for 2008 standards has aged badly the character designs are terrifying.
- It suffers from stereotypical and not so likeable characters such as:
- Sam is an often boring Mary Sue.
- Danny is a "Butt-Monkey" often abused by Wendy.
- Wendy is also a Mary Sue and a popular bad girl stereotype.
- Marc is the stereotypical rich man who serves as Danny's rival. It is also a Karma Houdini.
- Principal Rollins is based on the cliché of the mean school principal, so very hateable.
- Cathy is a kind of Pinkie Pie or Star Butterfly who is only there to make the public laugh.
- She's got some really bad humor that's made up of toilet humor.
- Plot Hole: We never knew how Cathy and her grandfather came to earth.
- The French dubbing is horrible because the voices are high and pointless.
- Similar to Loonatics Unleashed, the series fails to find itself either funny or serious.
- Often, the writing of the episodes is mediocre.
Monster Buster Club has received mixed reviews and it holds a 5.8/10 on IMDb and a 4.4/10 on Senscritique, but it gained a cult following.