Miracle Star (simplified Chinese: 奇迹星; traditional Chinese: 奇蹟星; pinyin: Qíjī xīng) is an obscure Chinese 2014 commercial series created by the Chinese food company Sanyuan Foods (which is China's most prestigious milk company after Sanlu Group (responsible for the 2008 Chinese Milk incident), the previous holder of that title, broke in 2008). It became infamous in early 2015 when Youtube user ryoga316 uploaded a commercial of the show which promoted children's powdered milk, and called the video Chinese Gumball, due to its similarities to the British-American cartoon series The Amazing World of Gumball. The show is so obscure, it is unknown who voiced the characters and in which channel it aired (most likely one of China Central Television's infinite TV channels), and it was canceled after its 12th episode aired.
The series is apparently about a young goat named Miao Le Xing (roughly, Miracle Star/Kiki, or Chi Chi on TAWOG), who lives in an apartment with his family and his brother Gua-Gua (roughly, Quack, Ribbit on TAWOG), a frog that is most likely Miao's science test experiment, and the two have bizarre adventures.
Why It Sucks
- It is an actual blatant rip-off of The Amazing World of Gumball, right down to the premise, animation and character designs. Ben Bocquelet, Gumball's creator, even made a tweet in which he discussed the similarities between both shows.
- It also looks like if MAD made a parody out of TAWOG.
- Miao Le Xing's design is very weird and we can't tell if he's supposed to be a bull or a goat.
- The title sounds way too similar to to the Japanese anime, Lucky☆Star.
- Not only do Miao Le Xing and Gua Gua rip-off Gumball and Darwin, but they even rip-off how Upin and Ipin scream from the Malaysian animated cartoon Upin dan Ipin.
- The animation feels cheap and low-quality.
- The voice acting is below average.
- The lip-syncing is way off despite Chinese being it's original language.
- Apart from the two main characters, there are also rip offs of almost every character from Gumball, such as a milk bottle who's a rip-off of Penny, a piece of broccoli who's a rip-off of Carmen, a guy who rips off both Principal Brown and Teri, a cloud who's literally Masami and a giant spider who's a rip-off of Tina.
- Uses copyrighted logos without their owner's permission, such as Coca-Cola, McDonald's and Windows XP logos.
- The theme song is horribly sung and cringeworthy, albeit the instrumental is catchy.
- Almost all of the episodes have scenes that rip-off a Gumball scene, and even some of them use plots from Gumball episodes. For example, "The Horror Movie" is a ripoff of "The DVD" since both episodes have the two main protagonists of their respective show destroying a DVD that was a rental (in both Gumball and Miracle Star, the characters destroy it accidentally), thus ending in the main characters doing a homemade version of the film that was on the rental disc.
- "Big Eater" has a weird glitch where, during the scene where Miao Le Xing and Gua Gua are eating ice cream together, the logo of the show appears for no reason whatsoever. However, this was fixed in the Youku version.
- Some episodes feature disgusting gross-out humor, an example is "Big Eater", which features a scene where Gua-Gua pokes a now-evil Miao Le Xing, which causes Miao to vomit on-screen (albeit there's a censored version of the episode where the screen is black in the moment where he vomits).
- It doesn't only ripoff Gumball and McDonald's, the Hector rip-off in this show is also a ripoff of Sulley from Pixar's Monsters Inc. and its prequel Monsters University.
- Almost all of Miao Le Xing's friends are eating-themed. Either they're food, drinks, mouths and even organs.
- Chun Ni has large breasts for unknown reasons.
- The food characters look way too much like the characters from the webseries Battle for Dream Island.
- One of the songs in the milk commercial that eventually made the show infamous was also stolen, it was taken from a Korean show from KBS without permission.
- The animation is passable in some aspects.
- The credits theme is rather relaxing, and is slightly better than the theme song.
- The backgrounds are decent.
- Despite being weird and confusing, Miao Le Xing's design is admittedly cute.
- Some funny moments.
- The theme song can be nice to listen to, despite being annoying and cringe-worthy.
- Some of the characters are likable.
Miracle Star has a 2.1/10 rating on IMDb, and has been heavily criticized for its similarities to The Amazing World of Gumball.
- Miracle Star was mocked by the writers of The Amazing World of Gumball in the episode "The Copycats", where Gumball and Darwin find out that a family is making money online by copying everything the Wattersons do or say; a clear reference to how Miracle Star ripped off The Amazing World of Gumball.
- Strangely enough, in the original official arts for Miracle Star, Miao's mother has no breasts, while in the commercials as well as the television series promoting the product, she has breasts.
- It doesn't include an Anais ripoff due to China's 2-child policy in a single family not being established until 2015 to fix the overpopulation problem the country suffers (since China is the most populated country in the world). The Darwin ripoff doesn't count as a child as he qualifies as the family pet (Darwin is a goldfish).
- Cartoon Network later ended up suing Sanyuan Foods for $10,000 (65,300.96 yuan).