Mega Babies is a Canadian animated series created by the Tremblay brothers, Christian and Yvon, who previously had made the H-B's show SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron. It is produced by CinéGroupe and Landmark Entertainment Group in association with Sony Wonder. The series was broadcast on Fox Family Channel and Teletoon. The show was also aired in the UK on Sky One's weekday mornings and later repeated on Channel 5 on weekend mornings between 2001 and 2002.
The show is about a trio of babies who are superheroes that fight off evil monsters and aliens. Their names are Meg, Derrick and Buck and their care-giver's name is Nurse Lazlo. The show takes place in Your City, USA. After their birth, they are brought to an orphanage. When the entire solar system aligned itself, the babies and their nurse were struck by lightning. The babies were given super strength and other powers, and Nurse Lazlo's IQ rose.
Why It Sucks
- The show is one of the perfect example's of the type of Toilet Humor. It shows as a lot of gross-out humor based on snot, vomit, feces, flatulence, drool, veins popping out of muscular parts, and various other bodily fluids coming from the cast is overused.
- Heck, barely any kind of humor besides toilet humor is used.
- Ugly and uncanny character designs that look like Ed Roth rejects. Also, every human, especially the main trio, barely look like said species.
- The characters in the show (especially the babies themselves) are unlikable.
- Likewise, the Mega Babies are implied to be superheroes, but rarely save anyone and mostly cause chaos instead. They never even get any consequences for the destruction they've caused.
- Lazlo is supposed to have been made super smart after the alignment, yet there are several moments where she's a total idiot.
- There’s one episode called "Inspection Insurrection", where Nurse Lazlo acts completely out of character and behaves just like the babies, though to be fair it was established that was because she got amnesia.
- Hideous color scheme.
- Most episodes like "Journey to the Center of the Sewer" can get extremely disturbing and nightmarish to watch.
- Pointless plots.
- The animation is quite cheap-looking.
- Poor writing that makes the writers look like they're on drugs.
- Ear-grating voice acting, especially from the babies.
- Disgusting sound effects.
- Very lazy and unoriginal name for the show's location; the town is called "Your City". Even the name of the city "Swellview" from Henry Danger sounds more like an actual city name by comparison.
- The theme song is incredibly annoying, merciless, and painful to listen to.
- There are pedophilia jokes in a kids' show. Especially in the episode "Balemtime's Day" and from Meg, who is only a baby and too young to flirt.
- Some episodes are enjoyable to watch.
- Some likable characters.