Marvin Marvin is an American science fiction slapstick comedy television series that aired from November 24, 2012 to April 27, 2013.
Aliens coming to Earth to have a humanlike life has been a popular subject for TV comedies through the years - Mork and Mindy and ALF being two of the most popular examples. This series gives the genre a twist with the alien being Marvin, who is sent to Earth by his parents to protect him from evil invaders on his home planet, Klooton. Marvin tries to adjust to life on Earth as a typical American teenager with the help of his new human family: older Teri, who doesn't want to be associated with her "cousin" Marvin at school, and younger Henry, a troublemaker who can be counted on to show Marvin the ropes. As one might expect, the family - which also includes parents Liz and Bob and tough-as-nails grandfather Pop-Pop - must conceal its new member's true identity from the world, including Teri's curious best friend, Brianna.
Why It Sucks
- Marvin is a very annoying and unfunny title character.
- The premise is a bland and unoriginal idea.
- It rips off Mork & Mindy as Mork is an alien who comes to Earth and tries to act like a normal human.
- The plot of each episode becomes increasingly stupid.
- A lot of the human characters are unlikable, especially with the human family.
- Some plot holes. Like how did Marvin's real parents not come and get him, even at the end of the only season?
- The show was cancelled quickly, so it probably was planning on showing the ending before the show was cancelled.
- It heavily relies on gross-out humor. From Marvin drinking his snot to eating his Grandfather's toenail to Marvin claiming his hearing organs are in his butt.
- The title is just stupid, unoriginal, and a rip-off of Marvin the Martian from Looney Tunes.
- Terrible acting, even from Lucas Cruikshank as the title character.
- An overused laugh track plays at the most unfunny lines.
- Marvin's true alien form in live-action is just plain disturbing.
- The crossover with Big Time Rush is terrible.
- Poor excuse of a theme song, if you can even call it that since it's technically not a song.
- At least Lucas Cruikshank doesn't use his typical Fred voice in this show.
- Teri's best friend Brianna is a likable character. “It’s Friday which means it’s Fredday which means it’s FRED: THE SHOW!!!” Agh!
- Marvin's true alien form in the animated intro and transitions were passable.
- The sub-plot in the fourth episode was pretty good.
Like Fred: The Show, it was panned by critics and audiences alike for Marvin's annoying attitude, Unlikable characters, and unoriginality. The series was canceled after 19 episodes. The series received a 2.3/10 on IMDb and a 2.2/10 on tv.com. The show has a 71% audience score on google.
- After the show got cancelled after only one season, Lucas Cruikshank announced that he left Nickelodeon for good.
- Also following the series' cancellation, Lucas Cruikshank came out as homosexual/gay.