Magical Girl Friendship Squad
Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under eighteen years or older.
Magical Girl Friendship Squad is a 2020 American adult animated series that airs as a part of Syfy's TZGZ block. It was premiered on September 26, 2020, at midnight, while the origins show premiered on January 1, 2020. The series focuses on a female-driven anime-inspired comedy about two young women, Daisy and Alex, who are destined to save the Universe... as soon as they figure out how to pay their rent. The show was eventually cancelled after only six episodes, due to low ratings.
Why It (Intentionally?) is not magical
- The name of the show is lazy and generic, as the title tells that it's an obvious typical magical girl cartoon.
- The main duo, Daisy and Alex, are very unlikeable characters.
- Laughably bad flash-animation, as Daisy's magical girl transformation from the beginning, is just an animation flipping to the other side. Which is lazy, as seen here. This is because like every other animated show, it uses Toon Boom Harmony. However, like Family Guy and Thomas & Friends: All Engines Go!, it looks more stiff and bad than better.
- Subpar, unfunny, and clichéd jokes as most of the jokes feature jokes from a typical adult animation like drugs. Also, some of the jokes can be dated and blatant as it only panders to millennial viewers.
- One of the villains of the show looks like a hybrid of Donald Trump and Pepe the Frog, which is really lazy and also political.
- It's an inferior wannabe to other better-received and popular magical girl shows from Japan such as Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt and the Sailor Moon franchise. As for Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, it has a similar sense of humor except that it's incredibly unfunny, transforming their trademark objects into magical weapons and the fact that the protagonists are jerks. But as for Sailor Moon, it has a similar concept to the show except with drugs.
- The writing of this show is subpar and falls flat compared to other shows that were released at the time.
- Very bland, ugly, and lazy character designs, especially in the Origins. One of these characters in this image looked like they're direct clones of each other sharing almost the same outfit.
- The main characters in the first show look like generic DeviantArt and Tumblr OCs, which look very cringeworthy and have edgy backstories.
- The Origins designs of the main characters look very uninspired.
- Sometimes, the show tries to stay hip for the millennial audiences or anime fans but fails.
- The concept of a magical girl for an adult American animated series is okay at best. Also, it's meant to be a parody of magical girl shows, especially Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.
- The character designs slightly improved on the second show, but they still look bland.
- While Origins have terrible voice acting, the main series has passable voice acting.
- Red Panda is the only likable character (despite being bland).
Reception to the show has been mostly negative. The show itself currently has a 3/10 on IMDb and 44% on Google. Origins sit at 1.3/10 on IMDb and 39% on Google.