Love Loaf (Breadwinners)
"Love Loaf" is the twelfth episode of the first season of Breadwinners.
SwaySway and Buhdeuce find a "love loaf", a magical loaf of bread that makes anyone who eats it fall in love with the first person they see. SwaySway wants to use it to get his crush, Jenny Quackles, to fall in love with him, but she is away at an all-girls summer camp. The Breadwinners level up to girly ducks to get into the camp, only for their attempts to be foiled by the three boy-hating camp counsellors.
Why It Sucks
- The plot is very disturbing for a children's cartoon, as SwaySway attempts to force his crush, Jenny Quackles, to eat a love loaf so she falls in love with him; on top of that, Jenny is a lot younger than SwaySway (though her appearance is an adult duck than a duckling), so the latter's actions could easily be considered pedophilia.
- On the topic of Jenny, she is rather disgusting for love interest, as she eats anything off of the ground and from the trash; because of this, it is questionable as to why SwaySway even has a crush on her, aside from presumably her beauty.
- What makes this episode even creepier and more disturbing is that rape (or forced romantic pursuits) is a common mating behavior among ducks in real life.
- It is also far too inappropriate for a children's cartoon, as it features, as mentioned before, SwaySway attempting to force his crush to eat the equivalent of a love drug, which, as stated, could be considered pedophilia. The end of the episode also has a reference to what is implied to be rape as both SwaySway and Buhdeuce get romantically pursued against their will by the love-struck camp counsellors who ate the love loaf they confiscated from them in an extremely aggressive fashion to the point where the two are stripped down to only their underwear.
- SwaySway's song about Jenny Quackles, though nice to hear, is laughably stupid; Buhdeuce's song (at the campfire) of how pretty he is isn't any better either.
- It also has a rather nonsensical and creepy subplot in which Buhdeuce... falls in love with himself after accidentally eating part of the love loaf; there is even a running gag of him talking to himself and SwaySway assuming that Buhduece is talking to him.
- Though probably unintentional, the episode conveys a rather cruel message to children, that "drugging someone will make them fall in love with you", which also encourages sexual harassment.
- SwaySway and Buhdeuce disguising as female ducks to sneak into the camp becomes awkward very quickly.
- Some elements of this episode's logic doesn't make any sense at all, such as how did both SwaySway and Buhdeuce's disguises as girls are blown all because of the latter's farts, and how are farts being stereotyped as "ungirly" by the camp counsellors. Girls can fart!
- SwaySway and Buhdeuce's injuries as the result of being romantically forced against their will by the lovestruck camp counsellors at the ending is disturbing to look at for a younger audience.
- At least at the end SwaySway knew that the Love Loaf is bad news, luckily the bread is never used again in the series.
- The Love Loaf Madness movie that the Breadmaker shows the is kinda funny.
The episode was universally panned by critics and audiences alike due to the infamous rape jokes as well as the creepy, pedophilic romantic relationship between SwaySway and Jenny Quackles.
- The title card is a reference to I Love Lucy.