Loonatics Unleashed is an American animated action-adventure science fiction series. Based on the Looney Tunes, it aired on Kids' WB from September 17, 2005 to May 5, 2007.
In the distant future, a group of teenagers-descended from the classic Looney Tunes characters-form a superhero team to fight against evil.
Why It Sucks
- It tries to pretty much be a darker, edgier and mature take on Looney Tunes, but it fails at succeeding.
- Also, the futuristic cyberpunk setting is other than popularized on the trend, around the show airs (the late 1990s to mid or late 2000s).
- Shallow and boring plot that is way too dark and inappropriate for a Looney Tunes property.
- It has little to no jokes and slapstick on the show, which is absolutely ridiculous and also unacceptable because Looney Tunes is supposed to be a comedy franchise.
- This bit of mixing of the original source material for this series is just abysmal.
- Ugly and outdated anime-like animation that blatantly rips off styles such as Bruce Tim's style.
- Very poor grasp of the original source material. The ACME weapons that they use are just basically generic superhero gadgets.
- Forgettable and lackluster soundtrack, especially the theme song from both seasons, with Season 2's theme being just awful with its narrator.
- The character designs are laughable and poor as they look little to nothing like their original classic-era counterparts.
- And on top of that, it makes them more like anime animal superhero rejects.
- Note that these were actually improved versions of the character designs. The originally-intended ones, most infamously Ace Bunny's prototype, "Buzz Bunny," looked downright terrifying and ended up being changed after blacklash from fans.
- None of the characters from the original classic era like Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck even appear on this show, not even having cameo appearances.
- On top of that, the characters' personalities are warped versions of the originals.
- The series is heavily derivative of superhero cartoons popular around the mid-2000s such as Teen Titans and Justice League: Unlimited, and even the live-action series Power Rangers.
- On that topic, it's pretty much a shallow rip-off of the much better Justice League and Teen Titans but with Looney Tunes descendants in it.
- The idea/concept of the Looney Tunes characters being superheroes has already been done before with the TV series Duck Dodgers which came out two years before this show. Also, while Duck Dodgers had some good humor and funny moments and stays true to the original Looney Tunes cartoons, this show however had none of these and utterly disrespects the original Looney Tunes cartoons.
- It has cringe-worthy and laughable dialogue.
- Laughably named locations, like a city that has the name of "Acmetropolis".
- Terrible voice acting, especially with Rob Paulsen and Jason Marsden.
- It's a giant middle finger to the original franchise.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The show's second season had a lighter and more tolerable, comedic tone.
When the show was first announced, the redesigns received backlash from fans, so much that petitions were made to stop the show.
Upon airing on release, Loonatics Unleashed was critically panned by critics and Looney Tunes fans alike and is widely considered to be the worst Looney Tunes spin off show ever made. It was so bad that even Warner Brothers themselves admitted that this show was an embarrassment.