Kamen Rider Amazons (2016)
Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under eighteen years or older.
"Do you think the recent Kamen Riders are interesting? I don't think so! I hope with Amazons the toothless Kamen Riders can get their fangs back."— Shinichiro Shirakura, producer of the Kamen Rider series'
Kamen Rider Amazons (仮面ライダーアマゾンズ Kamen Raidā Amazonzu) is a web-only Kamen Rider series based on the 1974 TV series Kamen Rider Amazon and is a part of Toei Company's Super Hero YearIcon-crosswiki (スーパーヒーローイヤー Sūpā Hīrō Iyā) project. The first season premiered on the Japanese version of Amazon Prime on April 1, 2016 and the second season premiered on April 7, 2017. The catchphrase for season 1 is "Open Your Amazons". For season 2, the catchphrase is "Who are you?" (おまえは谁だ？ Omae wa dare da?)
The series' first season was later internationally distributed via Amazon Prime under the title Amazon Riders. The second season debuted worldwide on Amazon Prime in the fall of 2018.
Its story concluded in the theatrical film Kamen Rider Amazons: The Last Judgement, which premiered in spring 2018.
Why It’s also Not Amazon
- Possibly the least likeable character in the show with Chihiro/Kamen Rider Amazon Neo has to be the worst offender mainly due to him being annoying and having a crush on Iyu Hoshino/Crow Amazon which she is just literally a corpse and that can be considered necrophilia.
- While there is nothing wrong with making a more darker entry to the Kamen Rider Franchise with examples like Kamen Rider Kuuga, Kamen Rider Agito, Ryuki, and yes even Kamen Rider Faiz (555) (Depending on your view of course) but they balanced it out with some comedy, yet Amazons doesn't try to get the balance as it takes it self way to seriously
- Fails to build up any suspense or mystery, ruining the story as a result.
- Mediocre acting that feels emotionless and phoned in at times.
- Similar to Shin Kamen Rider: Prologue, It had wasted potential; the premise of a genetically engineered Kamen Rider is interesting. However, it was poorly executed in this series.
- Some poorly written episodes.
- In Season 2, A pointless cameo from Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, despite being from a good season.
- And finally, to rub more salt into the wound, the first season aired concurrently with the infamously godawful Kamen Rider Ghost (Ep. 25-50 for Kamen Rider Ghost).
- Some of fans of Kamen Rider and the Tokusatsu franchise are willing to enjoy watching it.
- It's comparingly more tolerable than the show it was based on
- The suits are brilliant.
- There are some likable characters such as Haruka Mizusawa/Amazon Omega and Jin Takayama/Amazon Alpha.
- Both theme songs are great.
- One of the first Kamen Rider Series to get a wide release for Western audiences.
- The second season aired alongside Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, a good Kamen Rider season.
- Much like Gantz, and Elfen Lied it's actually right of how society can be flawed and messed up as it is.
- The first season is an improvement, needless to say it's still flawed.