Jungle Fever (The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!)
"Jungle Fever" is the eleventh episode of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!. Its corresponding live-action segment is "Dance".
While venturing through the Amazon Jungle to find a witch doctor, Mario, Luigi, and Toad are hit with itching powder.
Why It's Itchy
- This is a torture episode for Mario, Luigi and Toad, because they got hit with itching powder, making them extremely itchy.
- There are several problems with the characters that appear in the episode:
- King Koopa treats everyone like a big punching bag in this episode, as he invents an itching powder that can be placed inside Bob-ombs and makes whoever gets hit by it very, VERY itchy.
- Both Sheldon the Witch Doctor (voiced by the same voice actor behind King Koopa) and Butterfingers (voiced by Princess Toadstool's voice actress) are unlikable characters.
- The Mario, Luigi and Toad itching torture scenes were meant to be laughable, but instead the scenes are not laughable as some of the scenes are too exaggerated.
- Plot hole: How could King Koopa invent a potion that makes people itch so bad and put it inside of a Bob-omb (a type of bomb)?
- The premise of an itchy powder being used in a jungle is not that interesting. In addition, this episode overuses the Butt-Monkey trope where characters are tortured by other characters, and unlike other episodes of TV series that use that trope, it's not funny here.
- Mario's infamous "If food isn't pasta, it doesn't count!" quote.
- The animation is good as usual.
- Good voice acting.
- Some of the scenes are hilarious like:
- King Koopa: [maniacal laughter] It's my own Koopa Strength Itching Powder! You're gonna scratch so bad you'll fall off that bridge!
- King Koopa, being the villain of the show, is punished for his actions in this episode.
- Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool and Toad are all nice characters.
- The live action segment “Dance” was actually quite decent (and is far better than the actual episode itself).
Despite having a 5.9 Rating on IMDb, this episode got negative reviews from fans of the series and the Mario franchise, due to the torture scenes of Mario, Luigi and Toad and the greed of King Koopa.