Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under the age of eighteen.
Hoops is a 2020 American television series that premiered on Netflix on August 21, 2020. It stars Jake Johnson as Ben Hopkins, a foul-mouthed basketball coach. Netflix cancelled the show after only one season due to low ratings.
"Hoops" stars Ben Hopkins as a down-on-his-luck, foul-mouthed basketball coach who wants to push his team to success in them going to the big leagues.
- The premise of the show is very immature and it's basically Ben Hopkins constantly swears for no reason that it is hard to keep track of it.
- Its art style rips off many adult cartoons, such as Rick and Morty and Final Space.
- There are a bunch of unlikeable characters, such as Ben.
- Ben is shown throughout the show to be a terrible person as he actions has resulted in the following.
- He once hired a prostitute named Connie to have sex with Matty as a way of convincing him to join the basketball team. This does not end well with her and Ben as they get arrested.
- Constantly hits on Shannon, who wanted a divorce from him.
- Got another woman (Tina Fitzsimmons) pregnant, resulting in raising a son, who acts like Ben.
- Damaged Matty's relationship with Wendy, just so he can focus more on basketball.
- Tried to avoid a game by hosting a strike. In that same episode, he lies about his rival's star players (The Chin Twins) being involved in a serious accident.
- Was indirectly responsible for Kyle G. and Dr. Brooks' deaths.
- By having his take-out delivered to Ben at Coach Singleton's funeral, Kyle G. was set on fire by one of the mourners.
- When Dr. Brooks was leaving Lenwood High, Ben's new delivery driver kills her. Ben admitted that he hasn't eaten anything that lately.
- Is irresponsible at times. For example, he set his own rules in "The Road Game" where anyone who misses the bus gets left behind. Guess what happens? Ben oversleeps and is left behind. He luckily had Shannon to drive him to the game.
- The show ends with Ben and Matty getting a flat tire on their way to Henderson Prep. Because of the show's cancellation, it is never known if Ben and Matty made it there in one piece.
- Also, Shannon ends her relationship with Ron (who is Ben's friend) without any explanation.
- Terrible voice acting, specially from an all-star cast, including Jake Johnson.
- Because of the designs that rip-off the art style of Rick and Morty, it results in an unconvincing flash animation.
- The insert songs are catchy, including "Underage Kids Getting Drunk", "Kids in School", and "Shannon and Coach are Having Sex".
- Shannon, Opal, Ron, and Matty are among the only likeable characters on the show.
- While the show is not that funny, there were however some likeable moments. For instance, the West Side Story parody in "Zen".
- There were several episodes that furthered the plot, including "The Sponsor" and "The Road Game".
- In "Death", there was a heartwarming backstory on Shannon and Ben's relationship. Ben was a polite boy and his life was turned around when Shannon told him to insult Mr. Simpleton. Their relationship was strong until Shannon was arrested for drunk driving. This was where she decided that she wants change in life, ending her relationship with Ben.
Hoops received negative reviews from critics.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the show was rated 14% on the Tomatometer. Critics described the show as "crude, rude, and aimless".
On IMDb, the show was given a 6.1/10 rating from 4,003 reviews.
Despite the negative reception the show received, Hoops, however, has a score of 82% on Google.