Grass Hysteria! (Pokémon)
"Grass Hysteria!" is the 33rd episode of Pokémon: Advanced Challenge and overall the 73rd episode of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire: The Series.
The heroes get lost in a forest. Just then, May gets taken away by a Skarmory. As Ash, Brock, and Max try to get May out of the forbidden area, May befriends a Bulbasaur, but the other Grass-type Pokémon start attacking her.
Why It Hysterically Sucks
- This episode is a literal May torture episode.
- Skarmory picks up May and drops her for no reason, and never gets punished for its actions.
- Itʼs also a pointless character, as it only appears in that scene and is never seen or mentioned again.
- Much like "If it Smells Like an Ed" of Ed, Edd n Eddy and the last two parts of the three-part Egg-Moon Saga of Sonic X, itʼs an episode where a character gets blamed for something that he/she didnʼt do/had nothing to do with, and in this episode's case, it's May (a very innocent character).
- Many pointless and bland filler, namely the elder scene.
- During the first couple of minutes of the episode, it shows Skarmory picking up May and dropping her in the middle of a forest, and then May saving Bulbasaur from a cliff. It gives it the feeling that this episode would be about May and Bulbasaur trying to find their way out of the forest, so she can reunite with Ash, Brock, and Max, not only would it be a great concept, but it also would have been a heartwarming episode seeing as it focuses on May, who is a kind and sweet character, and it would even include some heartwarming moments, such as May befriending some wild Pokémon during her and Bulbasaur's travels, but instead, this episode is a mean-spirited mess with poor May getting chase by the grass-type Pokémon.
- The grass-type Pokémon blame May for something she didnʼt does to the point where they even try to kill her.
- Very poor rescue moments that are anticlimactic, such example is near the end, when the grass-type Pokémon are about to lunge at Ash, Pikachu, May, and Torchic, to which they flinch, and theyʼre rescued by... Venusuar yelling at the Grass-Type Pokémon to stop.
- The Elder is a pointless character who does nothing more than sitting around, he does not even bother helping out May, who keep in mind is a ten-year-old girl who's in a forest filled with Grass-type Pokémon that want to kill her.
- The grass-type Pokémon never apologize for their actions against May.
- May is still a great character as always, and she does end up catching the Bulbasaur she befriended.
- The grass-type Pokémon do get some comprehends when they get captured by Team Rocket.
- On the subject, the grass-type Pokémon do have a reason as they why they act like this, seeing as they were hunted by previous trainers, as such, they possibly considered May as a threat.
- This episode debuted Mayʼs Bulbasaur.
- The episode title is a reference to the phrase “Miss Hysteria”.