Ghost Stories (ADV Dub)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ghost Stories is an anime series based on the book by Tōru Tsunemitsu.
Five grade school students fight the supernatural.
- As an anime dub, it hardly feels like a dub and more like a cheap abridged series with unclever writing that is destined to just make people laugh with sexual references and random curse words.
- The constant offensive humor always taking up the focus really makes it difficult to follow the story.
- Most of the humor is very cringeworthy and offensive, as it mostly involves insulting atheists, homosexuals, Jewish people, black people, and even Muslims. There are also moments when Keiichirou (A first grader) is described by everyone as retarded.
- Some of the voice acting, especially from Keiichirou can be very annoying.
- Tons of unnecessary and out of place pop culture references, like when the characters mention Stephen King, Scooby-Doo, Cartoon Network, and Back to the Future.
- Most of the cast is either annoying, or just very unlikable. Momoko Koigakubo is especially very annoying as she never shuts up about being a Christian.
- The dialogue is very stupid, as it completely ignores the original Japanese script, and it is filled with gibberish quotes from Keiichirou that labels him as retarded, and the characters talk about nothing but inappropriate content and insults towards certain groups.
- Occasionally, the humor can be funny. There are some funny lines such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkGmuuPLby8
- The dub does have a cult following and can be considered "so bad, it's good."
- Some unintentionally funny moments.
- The reason why the dub is like this because the anime did horribly in Japan, the original creators of the show told the Americans who were dubbing it to do what they wanted.
- This dub didn't actually have defined scripts, just general storylines; as a result, the dialogue here is entirely improvised.