Gaming in the Clinton Years
Gaming in the Clinton Years (shortly abbreviated to GITCY) is a series of video game reviews archived from Flights of Fantasy, an old low-budget public access TV show from the 1990s focused on video games that was made in Maryland and hosted by George Wood. The videos were preserved by a YouTube channel called NAVGTR (The National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers).
The reviews had a notorious reputation for being one of the worst video game review series of all time.
Why It Sucks
- The title makes no sense, as it has very little to do with Bill Clinton.
- George Wood had some incredibly biased opinions, such as thinking Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island was better than the "less than pleasing" Super Mario World, saying The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was not as good as the original "for some unknown reason", and saying that Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind was excellent.
- He was so bad at playing video games that he rarely finishes them (even those that take under an hour to beat, like Rugrats: Search for Reptar), and often cheats to get to the ending.
- He constantly changes opinions and contradicts himself, such as criticizing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for not being realistic, only to say in another review that realism is getting old in video games. He also says that cheating in video games "spoils all the fun", which is hypocritical, considering how much he cheats in games.
- It sometimes happens in the same review, like in the review of The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare, where he says that everything is top-notch, only to say that the game is frustrating and incredibly hard to beat a few seconds later.
- Some of the game ratings are complete opposite of what George thinks.
- A lot of lines have strange delivery, such as "A ride on a tiger sounds like a lot of fun. Well, it is."
- George gets a lot of information wrong, such as saying that Mario in Super Mario 64 is mute (when he has plenty of lines in the game) when comparing the game to Resident Evil.
- Many of the jokes are terrible, and some of them make about as much sense as a Family Guy cutaway gag.
- Some of the reviews have bad audio mixing, where the game's sound is just as loud as George talking, like in the reviews of Plok and Bubsy.
- George often spouts nonsensical lines, such as suggesting that the sequel to Tomb Raider II should involve Lara Croft getting breast cancer, stating it would make the character "more meaningful", and a majority of his review of the Toy Story game is a rant about Silicon Graphics computers. At one point of the review, he gets completely sidetracked by a counterfeit Street Fighter toy using unauthorized character artwork.
- Some of the "reviews" aren't even reviews. Most of them just show random gameplay footage, and one of the reviews is just two newspaper clippings without any commentary or music.
- Some reviews end abruptly mid-sentence, like the Lemmings review.
- Some reviews are really short and barely cover the games, such as the review of the Game Boy Color version of Mortal Kombat 4, and the review of Illusion of Gaia.
- The show's "reviews" can be considered entertaining because of how bad they are (depending on your taste).
- Some of the stuff that George says in the reviews are funny, such as "Mario Kart 64 is fun to play, except when you're losing.", "Just get over it, this is the age of South Park. We don't like South Park, but we do like Resident Evil 2.", "Being the funny people we are, we were kinda hoping to see mannequin piss in the background." and many, many more.
- The music for the title card of GITCY videos is the Hall of Mirrors theme from the NES version of Shadowgate.