Funny Pets (Japanese: ファニーペッツ Fanīpettsu) is a Japanese CGI-animated series created by the husband-wife team, Ryuji and Wakako Masuda (the same people behind a similar anime), and was released in early 2006 and ended mid-to-later that year.
The show has 24 episodes and revolves around two aliens named Crescent (the moon) and Corona (the sun), who both crash on Earth in a weird, empty dessert-themed place located in the middle of nowhere with their UFO. They get found by a simple-minded and moody red-headed showgirl named Funny, and adopt both of the two and keeping them as pets.
- The characters are all mean-spirited, stupid and bland.
- LCW is a ridiculously stupid, weird and unlikeable character who abuses Crescent for no explained reason and is always unaware of the dangerous situations he and Corona both face. In the very first episode, she kicked Crescent out of her house over a portrait drawing she didn't like, and another one where she spanked Crescent in order to get him alive after dying from choking on an apple instead of taking him to a doctor or a hospital (in fact, do medical institutions even exist in this series?) For that matter, who names their kid "Funny"?
- Corona is annoying, as he always whines like a big baby for the smallest reasons possible.
- Crescent, despite not doing anything wrong with Funny, is the LCW of the show, and keeps nagging about Funny constantly ignoring him.
- Funny’s choice of clothing was unnecessary.
- Although a slight improvement from Popee, it still has ugly and outdated animation (that is the basis for most of Ryuji and Wakako's creations), even for 2006 standards.
- Horrible and simplistic character designs.
- Weird, disturbing and utterly nonsensical episode plots and storylines.
- Unfunny toilet humor in some episodes.
- Some inappropriate moments in a show aimed at children that would give the second season of George of the Jungle and the YouTube Kids Cartoons runs for their money.
- Funny's unnaturally large breasts and body.
- Evil (Funny's evil side after being separated because of a test potion she unknowingly drank created by Crescent) appearing as a dominatrix.
- Just (Funny's good side) being repeatedly whipped by Evil after multiple attempts at giving her roses.
- Corona defecating clouds.
- Annoying soundtrack.
- The theme/ending song is horribly-composed and sung. It is also hard to translate because you cannot almost hear what the singer is saying.
- Earbleeding voice acting
- This anime made Ryuji and Wakako Masuda fade into obscurity for several years until 2017 when their other show, Popee the Performer, got popular on social media.
- The series seems to be a ripoff of Sgt. Frog.
- The finale episode is clichéd and poorly executed. Like, why is it so hard for Funny to let Crescent and Corona leave Earth and move on with her life? She barely treated them equally and was responsible for all the havoc throughout their stay thanks to her ignorance and self-disrespect. Well, at least she got a new pet cat, but that won't change whatever happened.
- Funny's design is kind of cute.
- The Owl Rats are the only likable characters.
- The ending of the episode "Cabbage" is very wholesome, and is the only time where Funny is actually nice to Crescent.
Episodes with their own Pages
- The show got canceled very quickly in Japan, and Kids' Station wanted nothing to do with it or the creators anymore. The official website for Funny Pets was also sold and made into a website about alcohol poisoning.