Dork Hunters from Outer Space
Dork Hunters from Outer Space is an obscure British-German cartoon produced by BKN International (Bohbot Entertainment) and aired on GMTV's Toonattik block in the UK from 2008-2009.
From the BKN International website:
Who knew that a wrong turn at Saturn would result in one of the funniest animated action shows destined to grace the television screens of this, or any other planet?
Join Mac, Nikki, Romeo, and their earthbound friends Eddie and Angie, as they take on the nastiest, interplanetary villains ever to hide out on Planet Earth - The Dorks. That's right...you know them...you've seen them...you've smelled their breath! Dorks are among us and they are everywhere! Sound like enough for a couple of teens to handle? Then consider that our heroes must save the galaxy while struggling to cope with life as average teenagers in beautiful Paramus, New Jersey. And, oh yes, they take their orders from a ...goldfish! Starting to get the picture?
"Dork Hunters From Outer Space" ... because nobody likes a Dork!
Why it Sucks
- Nonsensical, almost non-existent plotline that makes very little sense, if at all, which leaves out questions to newcomers:
- Why exactly did the Dorks make earth their new home?
- Why were the Dork Hunters even created?
- Why did Nikki, Romeo and Mac take a turn from Saturn onto earth?
- The show suffers from a low framerate and a very cheap-looking art style. These combined make up very poor animation that looks like it was whipped up very quickly using flash.
- The main characters are bland as nails and in cases stereotypical.
- Angie is a generic girly-girl stereotype who loves shopping, make-up, and fashion. One of her weapons is in fact lipstick!
- The characters are so poorly written that someone watching it for the first time won't even know who they are, what they do, or who their names are.
- Cheesy opening theme with very poor rapping and lyrics that are hard to understand or even make sense, in an attempt to make the show look hip.
- Random sound effects play within almost every line of dialogue for no reason at all, making it very annoying to listen to.
- The dialogue itself is cheesy with awful one-liners and puns such as "Here, it ain't about the hunk, it's about the dunk!"
- There are several annoying pop-culture references in episodes as well, with "The Ref" alone having a reference to Tony Hawk and Gatorade.
- Insane amounts of gross-out humor all throughout the series, which is used as a selling point for the series as the Dorks are made to smell bad and give out a stink.
- Mac's power is to use his tongue to eat insects. Yeah, it sounds as gross as you think.
- Awful voice acting with very poor-sounding American accents (as the voice cast was British), similar to other BKN shows and movies from the time.
- Somehow, the series also had a toy-range in the United Kingdom. However, the figures are of very poor quality and can break very easily as well.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The show could be considered as "So Bad, It's Good" to some.
According to BKN International, the show was a big success in the UK for it's target audience of 7-10-year-olds. Even then, the show has since fallen into obscurity until The Mysterious Mr. Enter made a video about it in March 2022. He criticized the show for its overuse of sound effects, the animation, and it's concept.