Dead Kids (South Park)
Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under eighteen years or older.
"Dead Kids" is the first episode of the 22nd season of South Park and was written and directed by Trey Parker. It was aired on September 26, 2018.
When a school shooting happens, Sharon becomes concerned while Randy and the rest of South Park think she's having a period. Meanwhile, Cartman fails his math quiz and blames Token.
Why It Should be Dead
- Nobody seems to care that their children are in trouble when the school shootings happen in the episode, all except for Sharon.
- Randy acts like a complete jerk in this episode by claiming that Sharon is going through periods.
- Later he implies that Sharon is going through menopause, which doesn't even happen at Sharon's age!
- The episode has a pretty serious plot hole, why are there so many South Park Elementary school shootings?
- At the dinner table, Randy immediately cares more about Stan flunking a math quiz than Stan possibly getting wounded.
- Strangely enough, nobody mentions the shooting that occurred in the episode “Dances With Smurfs” in which student and recurring character Gordon Stoltski along with an unnamed school staff member were murdered by a jealous man who mistook Gordon for the man his wife was cheating on him with due to similar sounding names. This counts as a school shooting due to it taking place within a school with two people dead and the shooting killing himself, which all carry the same traits as many other school shootings. For some reason, Sharon fails to mention the Gordon Stoltski shooting even though she was concerned with the shootings going on at South Park elementary.
- Sharon also failed to mention the previous time Stan was shot in the episode “Douche and Turd” as in that episode, Stan was shot in the arm by Vote Or Die members.
- Terrible ending: Stan is severely injured in a school shooting, but Sharon shrugs it off after a few seconds saying that it's not the end of the world.
- Cartman's plot isn't that interesting. There are also many flaws with the plot:
- PC Principal just goes with the gag and doesn't even punish Cartman who clearly stated that he was cheating off Token.
- Cartman mentioning the Black Panther movie multiple times doesn't do anything for the plot.
- Lastly, Cartman shouldn't have even gotten another chance to retake the quiz.
- Much like season 9's "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina", this was not a good way to start South Park’s twenty-second season.
- Despite the attitude of the adults, the episode is a harsh criticism of the family abandonment of parents towards their children.
- Randy does acknowledge the school shooting problems in a later episode for being a reason to move out to Tegridy Farms.
- Cartman doesn't pass the quiz in the end.
- The scene where Cartman and Token try to survive a school shooting is amazing.
- Sharon is likable in this episode as she is rightfully concerned about Stan's safety and calls out the town for doing little about the shootings in South Park Elementary.
- The plot satirizes the idea that school shootings have become so commonplace, people have become numb to them.