Daybreak is an American post-apocalyptic comedy-drama web television series created by Brad Peyton and Aron Eli Coleite, based on the eponymous comic series by Brian Ralph.
Why It Sucks
- This show is basically another trope abuse by Netflix.
- It's another generic zombie apocolypse show, which is overflowing Netflix at this rate. It also focuses on the "last people on earth," another overdone topic.
- One of the most infamous tropes from Netflix is the urge to slap a gay couple in it. In this show, before the apocolypse, Turbo and Wesley were in love with each other (which is only shown in one scene of them kissing), then they regret being gay, and break up, making the whole thing worthless.
- Around 2020, a Twitter user actually made a meme about the fact that Netflix continously uses gay couples in every new show they release. In response, Netflix deemed their gay couples "necessary" (so, according to them, Turbo and Wesley's very minor relationship is necessary because it's LGBTQ+, right?) and Freeform tagged along with them. The 2 companies ended up being panned by users. As Memology 101 described LGBTQ media these days "only a way to get the monies."
- Josh himself is considered to be “Canadian” but yet his actor is American, and he just sounds like a normal American.
- The CGI and special effects are absolutely horrendous, especially on the pug in Josh’s garage in the first episode. Compared to The Flash (2014), which just looked like something straight out of a direct-to-video film, this is just inexcusable.
- Some of the episode names are ridiculous, like episode 4 being "MMMMMMM-HMMMMMM” and the final episode being "FWASH-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!" No joke.
- The final episode ended horribly, when Josh finally rescues Sam, but then Sam becomes a tyrant and forces him and his friends to kneel down before her.
- The worst part is that this show actually got cancelled after one season! So basically, everything that leads to Sam’s rescue was for nothing!
- Angelica’s character development is very inconsistent and out of place for a 10 year old. Angelica is extremely foul-mouthed, wanting to be a gangster only just to sell edible slime, and is extremely unlikable, but then she acts way too childish at times, such as having a period (note: the common age of a girl having a period is at the age of 12, so a 10 year old having a period that early is unrealistic), she cries that if her mom was here, she would wipe the tears off (which makes no sense, because her mom would basically have to tell her about periods and for her to see a doctor) and take her for some ice cream.
- Besides, how can selling slime and getting so much money make you a gangster anyway?
- The title “Daybreak” relies on nothing in this show. The only thing is that there is a group called “Daybreakers” but the main characters aren’t in it, so what’s the point? What is it supposed to even mean?
- Tons of gross-out scenes, such as the aforementioned CGI pug literally pooping in Josh’s garage, Ms. Crumble putting Josh’s hand in a bowl of maggots, as well as her back literally having burnt spots and moving on its own.
- This show sexualizes teenagers, and even little children. Examples would be such the aforementioned scene where Angelica has her period at the age of 10 and Josh having sex with Sam (come on, they're only TEENAGERS for crying out loud).
- The show forgets about the Ghoulies (who are basically adult zombies) halfway through the show, as if they weren’t a thing, and focuses way too much on the war between kids, similar to the newer seasons of The Walking Dead.
- Josh also becomes a jerk mid-season through, kicking out his friends from the mall after they confessed they lied about Sam’s death. Speaking of the mall, Josh overthrows Eli and takes over his mall without any good reason.
- Apparently, when Ms. Crumble is revealed, Angelica thinks “there are more people like her” but ever since the show’s cancellation, it was never resolved.
- When the apocalypse started, the bomb only affected those who were adults, but not teenagers and children. Basically, everyone is a human, so the bomb would have affected them! The worst part is that there is not a single kid that is a Ghoulie, so magically, kids can’t be affected!
- Weirdly enough, Angelica is the only underaged person in this show, so that probably means all the other underaged kids died in the bomb.
- A stupid pop culture reference where the name “Sam Dean” literally comes off from Sam and Deane from Supernatural.
- It keeps trying too hard to be self-aware, breaking the fourth wall all the time, and literally trying to cash in on the trend since Deadpool, but it ends up not funny at all.
- The acting, especially for a show around teenagers and children, is impressive.
- The humor is actually funny, ignoring the gross-out scenes, such as Josh accidentally # putting a sword into someone’s middle finger.
- Great soundtrack, such as Teenage Wasteland being in one episode.
- The action scenes are fun to watch, too.
- The costumes for the other groups are well-constructed.
- Mona Lisa is a hilarious character, and is basically a good version of Angelica Green due to her swearing coming in at the right time.
- It’s a much better post-apocalyptic show than The Rain and The Last Kids on Earth.
‘’Daybreak’’ was given mixed reviews by critics and audiences, with a 72% critic score and 66% audience score, while a 6.8 on IMDb and a 56 on Metacritic. The show's mediocre reception led to the show's cancellation on December 16, 2019.