Darkstalkers (TV Series)
Darkstalkers: The Animated Series is an American animated series based on the fighting game franchise of the same name.
Why It Sucks
- Just like Street Fighter: The Animated Series and Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, it's another adaptation of a fighting game franchise that was turned into a generic cartoon for kids.
- It has a very poor grasp on the source material. For example, the series' versions of Demitri, Morrigan and Anakaris are evil and work for Pyron, whereas in the games, Morrigan and Anakaris are two of the more heroic monsters and, while Demitri isn't exactly a good person, it's made clear that he opposes Pyron.
- The animation is incredibly horrible and laughable, to the point where the characters' faces look very ugly in several scenes.
- Some design of the characters doesn't match their game counterparts:
- Hsien-Ko has a normal skintone instead of a blue skin like the games, and her weapons are metal hands instead of her iconic claw weapons.
- Felicia's design in the show looks like a poor Halloween costume. However, this change was probably intentional to prevent controversy, since Felicia's original design is a naked woman with a little fur covering her breasts and butt.
- Several characters had their personalities changed, like Anakaris, who has gone from a silent and mysterious character in the games to a dumb brute in the show.
- Harry Grimoire is a bland, forgettable and very annoying protagonist.
- A lot of cringeworthy scenes, like when Lord Raptor is dancing with some human women (and a shark) on a beach, or Donovan Baine's "NOOOOOOO!" scream.
- The voice acting ranges from mediocre to downright terrible (with the exception of Scott McNeil as Lord Raptor).
- The fight scenes are boring and slow-paced, since the characters only fight with punches and kicks, and they don't even use their iconic attacks like in the games.
- Several Darkstalkers characters are absent in this show, like Lilith, Jedah and Baby Bonnie Hood. However, this can be justified by the fact that this show is based on the first two Darkstalkers game and Darkstalkers III had not been released yet.
- A lot of animation errors, such as several scenes involving Morrigan that makes her look like an ugly witch instead of the sexy succubus she's supposed to be, or when Demitri gets surrounded by cats and his body looks very skinny and disproportionate.
- Laughable dialogue like "All hail the Imperial... Pudding!" or "Even though you are curiously attractive for a fish-man...".
- It has some unintentionally funny moments.
- The rock theme song is somewhat good.
- Scott McNeil does a good job as Lord Raptor, to the point where he reprised his role in the English dub of Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge.
The show was received negatively, both as an adaptation and as an animated series, especially by the fans of the franchise. In IMDb, it received a poor rating of 4.4 stars.