Dai Sentai Goggle V
Dai Sentai Goggle V (大戦隊ゴーグルファイブ Dai Sentai Gōguru Faibu), or Dai Sentai Goggle Five, translated into English as Great Squadron Goggle Five, is a Japanese tokusatsu television series. It was the sixth entry in the Super Sentai franchise of tokusatsu programs produced by Toei. It was broadcast TV Asahi from February 6, 1982 to January 29, 1983, with a total of 50 episodes.
Why It Goggles Away in Quality
- The team is pretty unlikable, at least before (Shuriken Sentai Ninninger), with Futoshi Kijima/Goggle Yellow despite being the oldest member, who is constantly annoying, and his provided comedy gags about his luck is just plain irritating.
- Saburo and Miki were treated very poorly as they never had any small amounts of development within the show, not to mention Saburo only had two focus episodes to his name with both of them, not involving his character growth, and Miki was treated very poorly since the previous season never had a female member, unfortunately Miki was only treated as fan service, and like Saburo her episodes doesn't revolve around her character growth.
- The suits designs are lower quality when compared to other seasons, with the helmets all looking the same outside of Red and Pink's, and the bodies having the white around the neck which look like bibs, with the V symbols looking like ugly patched on stickers.
- Overuse of stock footage for the fight scenes (especially for Goggle Red), the slow motion effect might be pretty decent, however seeing amounts of stock footage throughout the majority of the show is pretty tiresome.
- The opening theme despite being really catchy is quite mediocre at best, and the ending theme is somewhat cheesy and unmemorable at the same time.
- Hideki Hongou!!! is amongst the worst mentor figures in the Sentai franchise, granted he did provide the rangers their initial gear, however he did absolutely nothing throughout the show's storyline, and the fact that he only appeared for 4 episodes, and we didn't get a proper explanation of why he had to leave in the first place.
- The Dark Science Empire DeathDark is definitely amongst the top 10 least threatening villain groups in the Sentai franchise; As not only are they pretty bland, unthreatening, very poorly developed, have no distinct personalities whatsoever. Their motive is just plain stupid, threatening people's lives using various forms of science for little to no reason is one of the most pathetic villain motives ever.
- The mecha battles are boring, as not only do Goggle Black and Goggle Pink, don't even get to participate in the particular battle, the overall choreography is just plain awful, at times it's like the mecha battle only existed as a fan service, as they would only use Goggle Robo for a final attack, it would have been nice if Black and Pink, Yellow and Blue could interchange with one another, and usually it tends to rely on too much stock footage, even with the rise of Goggle Caesar from a football stadium.
- Their finisher attack where they stand on top of each other while their swords glow to form a V, is extremely boring and pretty laughable, deeming it as the lamest sentai finisher to exist in history.
- The finale was terrible, to make things worse the final battle with Fuhrer Taboo is extremely lack-luster.
- There are still some likeable characters such as Kenichi Akama/Goggle Red and Kanpei Kuroda/Goggle Black.
- Despite the fight scenes relying on too much stock footage sometimes, most of them are actually pretty decent and entertaining to watch.
- Their weapons might look quite a bit ridiculous, but they are quite unique and distinct towards other Sentai seasons.