DXP's Coverage of E3 2018
DXP (stylized as D|XP) is a prime-time subsidiary of Disney XD focused on video games. Surprisingly, they decided to broadcast E3 2018 live, and made some questionable decisions.
On June 9th, 2018, DXP aired a live broadcasting of E3, talking about the big games at said event (Anthem, Battlefield 5, Fallout 76, etc.) claiming it to be a "General Audience" program. Little did they know that E3 wasn't meant for children in the first place, and most of the games shown were given an ESRB rating of Teen or Mature, with some games featured being terribly gory (Conan Exiles, Gears of War 5, etc.). As with Player Select (a D|XP show that also would censor content), they tried censoring it via adding cats, cutting to commercials (mainly the same ones), and flat out muting/blurring out scenes and lines. Unfortunately for Disney, this did not work out too well...
Why It Sucked
- Instead of focusing on Nintendo, who are known for having little to no violent games on their E3 conferences, they decided to focus on the other major publishers (EA, Sony, and Microsoft), who are known to feature many T or M rated games on their E3 conferences despite the channel being targeted at a general audience, which obviously includes children.
- Horrible censorship that's on the same level with Player Select (when there was any, see above).
- Disney first lied about the rating by saying it was for "General Audiences", and only mid-broadcast did they alert viewers about the mature themes.
- Disney aired very violent content whilst kids were watching, and made very minimal efforts at censoring it.
- Horrible editing that barely censored inappropriate content and had horrible ad placement (see below).
- Inappropriate ad timing (the only 2 kids games on the broadcast being blotted out by ads)
- Unedited violence and touchy subjects were shown. Examples include:
- Tom Clancy's The Division 2 execution scene
- The Last of Us Part II knife and kiss scene
- Devil May Cry 5 trailer
- Gears 5 trailer
- Resident Evil 2 trailer
- We Happy Few
- Hitman 2 Gameplay
- Once again, these are M rated titles (PEGI 18 if you're from Europe) being shown here!
- One of the reasons why the D|XP block was a bad block from its start in 2017. The failure of this coverage also ended up ultimately killing the block, with only its branding used prior to airings of Parker Plays and Player Select.