Cyma Zarghami (Persian: سیما ضرغامی, born December 15, 1962) is an Iranian-American television executive who served as the president of Nickelodeon from 2006 to 2018. After she left Nickelodeon in 2018, she launched her own studio called MiMO Studio in 2020.
Why She Sucks
- She was responsible for causing Nickelodeon's decline since 2009.
- She turned down great shows like BTSW and BTSW, which ended up going to Cartoon Network and Disney Channel and were well-received.
- Under her leadership on Nickelodeon, she illegally harassed pro-union writers, illegally fired, or laid off 30 people, lied in federal court to obtain the names of the unionizing leaders ringleaders, blacklisted four people, which includes the creator of the Constant Payne pilot rejected by Nickelodeon, Micah Wright, by calling every animation studio in Los Angeles and telling them to not hire him, and signed a deal with the Animation Guild IATSE Local 839, making sure the Writers Guild would never work with Nickelodeon, which shows Nickelodeon is a pretty horrible company to work at because of her.
- Also during Cyma's leadership at Nickelodeon, she treated creators of Nickelodeon's shows terribly, one big example being C.H. Greenblatt, the creator of BTSW and his staff, which caused the show to be canceled in 2017. When C.H. Greenblatt criticized the scheduling of the series, she and the executives threatened him to apologize, which shows she is so sensitive towards criticism.
- Plus, she changed their creator deals to the adjusted net of toy revenue, meaning they could deduct the cost of anything they wanted from the earnings of the creators of Nickelodeon's shows.
- The reason why she turned down Constant Payne is because she believed that action shows turn kids into terrorists. And yet she greenlit the 2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot, showing her hypocrisy. Same goes for The Modifyers being rejected because of it having a female protagonist and believing that a show with a female protagonist will not do well on Nickelodeon (despite shows like BTSW, BTSW, BTSW and BTSW proving otherwise), and yet she greenlit The Mighty B!.
- She greenlit a bunch of toy-driven BTSW clones in order to pump out more money from toy revenue. While not all of them were bad, a lot of them were.
- Along with Paramount Pictures, they refused to revive BTSW in 2017, due of the failure of Adult Party Cartoon spin-off in 2003. Despite this, in 2016, she was in conversations with John Kricfalusi, the creator of Ren & Stimpy, to revive the show to be part of the Nicktoons crossover movie. But however, the conversations didn't go ahead, mostly because two years later in 2018, John K. was accused of sexual harassment. This was not only a stab in the heart to the show's fans, but also a stab in the heart to the show. Various fans were very disappointed with Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon's decision to not the revive the show, as mentioned before.
- She also screwed Power Rangers in the infamous Neo-Saban Era on Nickelodeon's schedule for like putting five-month hiatuses to the series, which caused low ratings to Power Rangers.
- She seems to have a very low tolerance for Nicktoons not named SpongeBob SquarePants, as the majority of the shows (yes, even The Fairly OddParents) during her period as president were either placed on certain death slots on the main Nickelodeon channel, or demoted to the Nicktoons channel if they don't reach the ratings of the aforementioned show, and so far, only BTSW has been able to escape from this trope.
- Greenlit and/or licensed bad or mediocre shows like The Mighty B!, Fanboy & Chum Chum, Planet Sheen, Monsters vs. Aliens, Sanjay and Craig, Rocket Monkeys, Breadwinners, Pig Goat Banana Cricket, Bunsen Is A Beast, The Adventures of Kid Danger, Bucket and Skinner, How to Rock, Marvin Marvin, Sam and Cat, The Haunted Hathaways, The Thundermans, Every Witch Way, Henry Danger, Bella and the Bulldogs, Make it Pop, Talia in the Kitchen, Game Shakers, WITS Academy, Get Blake!, School of Rock, The Other Kingdom, Knight Squad, and ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks.
- There were some Nicktoons during this time period that actually ended on the main Nickelodeon channel, such as Fanboy & Chum Chum (the finale was originally scheduled to air on Nicktoons but it aired instead on Nickelodeon a day after it was originally scheduled to air on Nicktoons), BTSW (although, the Mutant Apocalypse arc aired on Nicktoons), Monsters vs. Aliens, Sanjay and Craig, and even The Adventures of Kid Danger.
- Greenlit good shows like BTSW, BTSW, BTSW, BTSW, BTSW, BTSW, and finally greenlit GMW, much to the satisfaction of that show's fans.
- Some of the shows she turned down were pretty mediocre, like Squirrel Boy for example.
- She did create a block to TeenNick called BTSW (formerly The '90s Are All That, The Splat, and NickSplat), which is the block shows reruns of mid-late 1980s, 1990s, and early-mid 2000s children's programming, mostly shows that aired on Nickelodeon during their original runs such as Rugrats, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Nickelodeon's Doug, CatDog, Hey Arnold!, Rocko's Modern Life, and many more.
Throughout her tenure, Zarghami received criticism from fans and longtime viewers alike for her mismanagement of the channel.