Chargeman Ken! (チャージマン研!) is a 1974 Japanese science fiction anime series created by Knack Productions. It was aired on TBS from April 1, 1974, to June 28, 1974, for a total of 65 episodes.
The show was later become a popular internet meme due to its ridiculous dialogue, limited animation and sound effects.
The show takes place in a futuristic city, where science has greatly progressed. A race of aliens dubbed Jural invade the Earth to steal its resources, and Ken Izumi must become the superhero Chargeman Ken to stop them.
Why It Sucks
- Horrible and annoying voice acting.
- Awful animation, even for the 1970s:
- Unspeakably recycled animation.
- Occasionally, some things are not coloured in.
- Bad sound effects; in addition, most of the time, there's no sound.
- The stories are ridiculous, repetitive and predictable.
- In episode 45, Carol is brainwashed after she makes a mistake when playing the piano, then gets told to... kill her older brother when she is sleeping?!
- Cheesy and laughable dialogue.
- Chargeman Ken is a loathsome protagonist:
- He straight-up cheats and never loses.
- He is powerful, yet the anime does not tell how Ken got his powers.
- In the anime, he is supposed to have good mental health, but he tends to act like he has a debilitating mental illness.
- He kills Jurals indiscriminately, cruelly pranks on Barrican and Carol. However, he doesn't get punished for his atrocities by anyone.
- The episodes are mostly 5 minutes long.
- At least the opening theme song is good.
- The artstyle is nice for an anime made in the 70s.
- To be fair, Chargeman Ken is correct about how the Jurals are invading the Earth.
- The line “Dr Volga, forgive me!” became a meme.