Bom Dia & Cia (2010-2022)
Bom Dia & Cia (also known as Bom Dia & Companhia) was a morning children's television block that aired on SBT and also was the children's TV program in more time on display in Brazil being on air since August 2, 1993.
However, the block went downhill again between 2010-2022 when there was a decline in quality and the departure of the duo Priscilla and Yudi, and getting even worse in 2015 when Silvia Abravanel, the director of the block became the only presenter of Bom Dia & Cia. The program was finally cancelled on March 31, 2022 by Silvio Santos himself, with its last program aired on April 1, 2022, after 28 years.
Porque Não Era Um Bom Dia Com Companhia (Why It Wasn't A Good Day With Company)
- These years came to be commanded by Silvia Abravanel as the main director of the block, although Silvia started to work in the direction of the block in 2009 (when Maisa was moved to present the program replacing Priscilla and Yudi occasionally) it was in 2010 that the block started to have big changes, mainly to adapt Maisa's age (who was just 8 years old at the time), as the block was being rated as +10.
- In July 2010 the channel (in an awful attempt to imitate the rival block TV Globinho) started broadcasting teen and family sitcoms during the closings of the program. However, only two sitcoms were aired on Bom Dia & Cia being That's So Raven and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, two sitcoms that previously had excessive reruns during channel afternoons. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air also didn't make sense to air on the block, since the series is not for children.
- 2010 was also the year that Naruto (considered one of Bom Dia & Cia's most-watched shows in the late 2000s) left the block, since then there have never been new anime premieres on the block, with the channel constantly ignoring requests for Naruto's return.
- In November 2012 Yudi Tamashiro was fired from the channel, thus ending the iconic duo Priscilla and Yudi after 7 years of presenting the program, being replaced by the American clown Bozo in December of the same year. Bozo's return came about because SBT wanted to return to the program that had been successful in SBT in the 1980s, despite the program having ended TWO DECADES AGO. Bozo's pairing with Priscilla looked very strange and he stayed on the program until February 2013 when the new version of Bozo's show was released on the channel.
- Bozo's presence at Bom Dia & Cia also made Bozo's horrible 1958 animated TV series aired covering half the block as a way to promote the return of the clown in the channel.
- After Bozo's program was a failure, along with the clown duo Patati Patatá who also had their program canceled at the same time the channel tried to move all these clowns to Bom Dia & Cia. In the same year, 2013, when the telenovela Carrossel ended, four of the child actors were moved to also present the program (returning Maisa Silva and adding Matheus Ueta, Ana Vitória Zimmermann, and Jean Paulo Campos). As a consequence of this, the program ended up having several presenters taking turns in the presentation each day (between clowns and children). However, the reception was so bad that the clowns had to be removed in the same year and until 2014 only Matheus Ueta remained in the program, which he now had to present with newcomer Ana Julia Souza.
- In 2013 the prizes that were given to viewers that used to be several different types of toys were reduced to just money (ranging between 200-1000 reais), with the only three exceptions being just: tablet, video game, and notebook (all three being unknown the brands and types).
- In July 2015, the Brazilian justice banned Matheus Ueta and Ana Júlia Souza from hosting the block, as they are minors. Because of this, Silvia Abravanel replaced them as the host of the block.
- Silvia Abravanel is considered the worst host ever in the history of Bom Dia & Cia, mostly because she did very horrible things when she hosts the block, which is aimed at kids, like she threatened to fire an air conditioning guy called Lucas on the July 18, 2018 episode and constraining three SBT employees on the February 19, 2020, episode. Yet SBT did nothing to stop these incidents that had been caused by her, mostly for being one of the daughters of SBT's owner, Silvio Santos. Jéssica Esteves and Kauê Santin, the former hosts of the block in 2003-2005, despite being hated by the viewers, would never do this kind of these incidents, unlike Silvia Abravanel did. Yudi Tamashiro, the other former Bom Dia & Cia's host already declared in an interview, saying Silvia mistreated him badly during the block's tapings, showing how a horrible person she is.
- Because of her, that's why anime are not aired anymore in the block and also she refused to air Power Rangers, for being "too violent", making this a hypocrisy.
- However though, they actually show these incidents when the camera wasn't off, and didn't know of how they show the incidents on air, they should've stop taping for moment and let the program go on commercial break.
- Aired some bad/mediocre cartoons like Teen Titans Go!, the third season of Turbo F.A.S.T, the final five seasons of El Chavo Animado, Lottie Dottie Chicken, and the reboots of Ben 10 and The Powerpuff Girls.
- The block also broadcasted excessive reruns of shows like Masha and the Bear, and web series such as Monster High, Ever After High, Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse and the 2010s Polly Pocket web series, which are mostly considered good or okay (or bad shows depending on your view) by the audience. The reason why Masha and the Bear have excessive reruns is precisely because Silvia likes the cartoon and doesn't care about the public's opinion. While the cartoons based on Mattel dolls have excessive reruns only to serve as advertising for Mattel dolls in Brazil and Mattel practically pays SBT for broadcasting them.
- It also aired excessive reruns of What's New, Scooby-Doo?, Static Shock, X-Men: Evolution. Although these shows are not necessarily bad, they are on the block since the first half of the 2000s! Because of this, a large part of the Brazilian kids today is not interested in watching either of these shows anymore because they are already considered saturated and predictable for the channel. Silvia often ignores other good Warner animated shows that have had few reruns on the block and focus only on those 3 shows returning.
- The segment Você no Bom Dia & Cia is very poorly unsalted since is to only show the viewers' videos that send to SBT's website in the block and that's it. Even more is not comparable to a segment from the Jacky era, when the viewers send their photos to the block and they also got a game as a gift for appearing on the block.
- The block tried to air the Mexican sitcom El Chavo del Ocho inside in the block itself on April 2, 2018, in an attempt by SBT to compete against the exhibition of El Chavo on Multishow, a channel owned by Canais Globo and SBT's competitor, Rede Globo but failed in the ratings, obviously repeating the same episodes SBT has from the series, when Multishow aired unaired episodes of the series that have never been shown in Brazil nor Mexico, which caused El Chavo to be removed from the block one year later on August 2019 and got replaced by The Thundermans, which did very well with the ratings of the block. However in July 31, 2020, the series was removed from the entirely from the channel after losing the rights to Televisa.
- The Legend of Korra premiered in the block on July 22, 2015, and unfortunately didn't last long, due to its ending when it was revealed that Korra and Asami are bisexual. It only aired for one month and was took off of the block.
- The classic episodes of Tom & Jerry never aired on the block during this era, usually in favor of more recent versions like Tom & Jerry Tales (which has had excessive reruns on the block) and The Tom & Jerry Show, that although they are not necessarily bad, they do not have the same level of entertainment as the classic shorts. This also ended up breaking a channel tradition that used to have reruns of the classic Tom & Jerry since the channel's early years. This probably must have happened because Silvia started to consider the classic shorts to be outdated or very violent.
- To make matters worse, if the Brazilian justice had already banned Matheus Ueta and Ana Júlia Souza from hosting the block for being underaged, they also banned the block for using animals in the block's games in 2016, because according to them, they used animals for abusive situations and it's against its nature or exposes them in vexatious, painful or above their strength.
- The 2017 redesigns of the Greens are bad, mostly for replacing the old ones and blatantly rip-off the characters of DreamWorks' Trolls (more specifically, the parts of the teeth and eyes).
- On October 3, 2019, instead of airing Bom Dia & Cia at 10:30 AM, SBT aired the notorious Spanish-language American show Alarma TV, at the time the show was airing on the network in 2019. Alarma TV was very controversial with SBT's viewers, due to the violent content it caused a lot of complaints from many parents waited to watch the block with their children.
- On March 5, 2020, an hour before the program went on the air, the part of the studio lights of the block where it was recorded ended up falling, as a result, the block ended up being aired only with the cartoons, fortunately, there was no one at the time of the accident and they didn’t get hurt. As the block is recorded at Studio 6, infamously known for being supposedly haunted, it does not help to smooth things over.
- In 2018, after SBT finished the block Mundo Disney and their partnership with Disney, the program was extended returning with the cartoons Felix the Cat, Dennis the Menace (1986) and Dennis and Gnasher (1996), considered classics of Bom Dia & Cia in its early years and that haven't aired on the channel for over a decade. However, these cartoons stayed on the air for a short time and were took off of the block in less than 2 months.
- This also happened with Popeye the Sailor, after Band lost the rights to the cartoon in 2018, SBT reacquired Popeye in the same year, which was another classic of Bom Dia & Cia in its early years, however as happened with the other cartoons already mentioned, unfortunately, it lasted only a short time and has been taken away.
- On December 8, 2020, during the game Decorando, Silvia was interacting with the boy Miguel, who said pink was the first color to decorate, but ignored his directions, fumbled, changed pink for purple and harmed him, making him lose the prize.
- On March 30, 2022, one day before the announcement of the end of the program, a boy named Pedro after participating in one of the program's games asked Silvia Abravanel for a toy from children's YouTuber Luccas Neto, whose toy was not on the program's roulette wheel, and his mom said that he didn't have Luccas Neto's toy in the program and the phone hung up, and decided for the child what his prize would be and spun the roulette hard, but used her hands to slow down and stop the spin, thus, it stopped at R$400.00. It ended up causing Silvia to be accused of cheating and harming the child, who would have made more money if the roulette had continued to spin, despite Silvia apologizing for that on the last Bom Dia & Cia program on April 1, 2022, it is speculated by viewers that the program ended due to Silvia Abravanel's cheating on Pedro, which angered Silvio Santos, who ordered the program to be terminated as a result of Silvia's cheating. Not only Silvia Abravanel's manipulation of the program's roulette wheel was very wrong, it was also unfair, since Silvio Santos never manipulated the roulette wheels of his programs and was always strict with it, whose what Silvia did with the program's roulette was not right.
- Aired good cartoons like SpongeBob SquarePants, DC Super Hero Girls (2019), The 2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dinotrux, the first two seasons of Turbo F.A.S.T, The Spectacular-Spider Man, Totally Spies!, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Kung Fu Panda: Legend of Awesomeness, the 2014 version of The Tom and Jerry Show, What's New Scooby-Doo?, Justice League Action, the first two seasons of El Chavo Animado, the final season of the Ben 10 reboot, and X-Men: Evolution.
- Justice League and The Zeta Project at least have not had as many unnecessary reruns in these years as they used to have in previous years and they were finally able to retire from the block after several years of reruns.
- Fortunately after 2013 the channel learned from mistakes and never hired A Turma do Bozo to present Bom Dia & Cia or any other blocks again, but unfortunately there were no other clowns after them.
- The late Seu José and his parakeet Chico who gave messages with kisses to viewers who participated in the games of the program who joined the block in 2012, were one of the saving graces of the block in its second and last downfall before it got worse with Silvia Abravanel started to host the block in 2015.
- Matheus Ueta and Ana Júlia Souza returned to host the block on July 29, 2015, but however Silvia Abravanel returned to host permanently the block on September 1, 2015, and Matheus and Ana Júlia would host Carrossel Animado until 2016. They returned to host the block, but eventually two times in 2016 and 2017 when Silvia took a vacation.
- Despite Silvia being a huge jerk to the guests, the 2016 Children's Day special was honorable, to invite some of the former block's hosts like Jackeline Petkovic, Eliana and Chiquinho, Yudi Tamashiro and Priscilla Alcantara, Maisa, and Mara Maravilha (the only person never hosted the block) to a special day.
The block's second downfall between 2010-2022, received negative criticism from both new and old viewers of the block, mostly for saturated repetitions of cartoons like Static Shock, X-Men Evolution, What's New, Scooby-Doo? and others, that put the block on the list of The Worst Programs of 2011 by UOL, as well as Silvia Abravanel hosting the block between 2015-2022, her terrible acts during the block and in the direction that the block become. Also, the block fell in the ratings, but however, it managed to have good ratings when Silvia Abravanel didn't host the block. The last host Silvia Abravanel also suffered criticism from the journalists according to them in their opinion, a host who is not very charismatic there (in addition to being adept at the irritating "facilitate" language) makes Bom Dia & Cia the worst children's program. Various SBT employees, even children and the former block's host Yudi Tamashiro hate her as well. A majority of viewers (both new and old) stopped to watch the show due of these things that the block had, making Bom Dia & Cia have low ratings on TV. After the end of Bom Dia & Cia, in the same year, Silvia returned to host Sábado Animado in April 30 of the same month.
- The last show that aired in the BDC's final program on April 1, 2022 was The Spectular Spider-Man, with the episode "Destructive Testing" from Season 2.