Filly Funtasia is an Italian-Chinese computer-animated children's television series created by Jacob and Henrik Anderson for Dracco. The series is based on the Filly franchise, and is produced by Dracco Brands and Guangzhou Huamai Animation Studios. The series follows Rose and her friends as they attend a magical academy in the royal kingdom of Funtasia. It premiered on March 11, 2019 on Frisbee in Italy and on November 28, 2019 on iQIYI in China.
Filly Funtasia is about the adventures of Rose, the pink and white unicorn with a magenta horn as she attends a magical academy in the royal kingdom of Funtasia, with her best friends – Cedric the indigo and blue royale filly with white spots, Bella the white and bright pink elf filly, Lynn the purple and orange witchy filly, and Will the black and white fairy filly with green fairy wings. The Fillys go to school days and study their crystal powers, all while Wranglum, the Wizard of the Dark Mirror, along with his minion Battiwigs, try to steal all of the magic in the kingdom.
Why It Sucks
- The main problem with the show that it is a very obvious cash-in on the popularity of the My Little Pony series, and most of the episodes were stolen and most of the stories are average, lazy, and poorly written. They also rip off many of MLP G3 plots. Heck, even Corn and Peg has more original plots.
- The first episode, in particular, rips off the pilot episode for My Little Pony G3.
- The early episodes of the first season has mediocre and poor CGI animation that can make Pet Alien, Tak and the Power of Juju, Fanboy & Chum Chum, Planet Sheen, Back at the Barnyard, The Garfield Show, Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks, The Popples (2015), and Inspector Gadget (2015) look like Pixar movies.
- Very bad character development for the ponies and none of them are likable, at all.
- Horrible Italian and Chinese voice acting that sounds like all the actor's microphones were busted.
- Many of the characters are unlikable and annoying, especially Rose, the main character.
- Weird and laughable jokes and humor that mostly go nowhere with the plot.
- The pacing is too slow and many of the episodes can take forever.
- Some episodes can get too annoying and very obnoxious.
- The character designs rip off many of the MLP G3's designs, what's more, that the Mane Five rips off Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, etc. from the other MLP show Friendship is Magic.
- It had a catchy theme song.
- Some good and catchy songs with Chinese sing-along lyrics that they're localized onscreen.
- The animation was improvised in the second season from now on.
- The backgrounds are least decent at best.
- The English voice acting is decent. Props to the fact that Xbox One has its English dub being cast with the Canadian voice actors from Nelvana.
- It gained a cult following in China and is extremely popular within the Chinese television platform, Youku.