Barnacle Face (SpongeBob SquarePants)
Barnacle Face is the first segment of the 12th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants from season eight.
SpongeBob is asked to remove a barnacle from Pearl's face.
Why This Episode is Complete Barnacles
- The episode's concept is borderline cringeworthy and disgusting at the same time, no matter how relatable it is to those who have putted up with ugly spots on their faces (though the barnacles on Pearl's face are a fish equivalent to human pimples). This episode feels something that is more likely in the likes of Season 6 rather than Season 8 because Season 6 had gross out episodes itself (of course, gross out episodes that take a step way too far in a really vile direction).
- The shots of Pearl's barnacles are outright disgusting to look at and of course, we don't learn where the barnacle came from.
- SpongeBob trying to get rid of the barnacle on Pearl's face doesn't even help at all, especially when he uses his spatula, a shovel, a jackhammer, and even facial cream, the latter of which makes her face look deformed and also makes her completely unable to speak.
- Mr. Krabs is incredibly neglectful, very irresponsible, and (you guess it!) cheap towards his daughter, prioritizing the huge gem collection he stored over trying to find a cure to Pearl's barnacle problem. When she gets upset, he runs off like a coward much to him being an incompetent parent.
- To add insult to injury, Pearl had been using soap made out of leftover Krabby Patties, the very source of her barnacles. This just adds more of Mr. Krabs' laziness and negligence toward her daughter. If Eugene doesn't want to buy soap because oh, so he values money more than anything, why can't he just use safer, fragrant materials, like flowers or fruit?
- In addition, in real life soap made out of leftover burgers is an incredibly gross idea.
- Pearl's voice is grating here than before, especially in one scene when she violently cries because of all the barnacles she got from the soap.
- SpongeBob can't remove Pearl's barnacles. This is also very inaccurate because in "Accidents Will Happen," Mr. Krabs and Squidward both have to pop back barnacles off of each other. That's what would have helped remove Pearl's barnacles.
- Mr. Krabs never learns his lesson at all in this episode once, as he still went after his gems on Pearl's face.
- The way Pearl gets barnacles on her face is completely unrealistic and nonsensical as the episode treats the barnacles as if they are acne and pimples. Barnacles are small animals that parasitically attach themselves to skin or synthetic material on something like a boat.
- The shot of diamonds on Pearl's face is beautiful.
- Good ending where Pearl and her friends depart for the dance, only for Mr. Krabs to sprint after them.
- On top of that, Mr. Krabs gets his comeuppance for his actions in the end when his diamonds get stolen.
- SpongeBob at least tried to help Pearl, even if his attempts to get rid of her barnacles off her face were no good.
"Barnacle Face" got negative reviews from critics and audiences, as well as fans of the SpongeBob SquarePants series. Along with its sister episode, it holds a 5.1/10 on IMDb.